• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help w/ GPO Studio

Share/Bookmark

Need help w/ GPO Studio

Hey all,

I picked up GPO a couple of months ago and I\'ve been lurking around the board here since. Cool place. While I\'m not new to notation software, I\'m still pretty much a newbie when it comes to software based systhesis. I\'m having a problem that I hope one of you can help me with.

Whenever I use my notation software (Sibelius and Overture) to playback any of the string samples, the attack is barely present. Even if I set commands for the mod wheel and velocity to maximum. This results in fast passages being almost inaudible. Any idea what I\'m missing?

Thanks!
    Chad

Ps. I\'m working on Bartok\'s Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta for a demo. Sounds awesome so far (other than the attack issue!). I\'ll let you guys know when it\'s done.

Re: Need help w/ GPO Studio

Make sure you turn the option of responding to Volume/Panning in GPO to off (options on the player itself, its there somewhere.) This should be off by default. Also, make sure ignore mod wheel in Studio is not checked.

Joseph,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I went and checked what you suggested. I am still having the problem, though. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Everything else is dialed in except for this and it\'s driving me nuts!

It might need time to detect what you\'re telling it. My playback in Sibelius is awful unless I raise the latency.

Ok, I upped the output latency as high as it would go - 79ms. It seemed to help a little but the fastest of passages, quintuplets at 120 to the quarter, and some of the sixteenth note passages still don\'t come out right. I also noticed there is some loss of volume with staccato marks on eigth notes at that tempo.

I\'m pretty sure it\'s not a soundcard issue as it has happened on two different chipsets. I\'m currently running a Soundblaster Live 5.1. Here is my system in case anybody sees something wrong there.

P4 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, Hyperthreading.
    AOpen AX4SPE mobo, Intel 865PE chipset.
    1 GB PC3200 DDR RAM - two 512\'s operating in dual-channel mode.
    Soundblaster Live 5.1 sound card.
    nVidia GeForce 4 ti4200 video
    Maxtor 80GB HD 7200rpm NTSF file system and a partition that contains only GPO.
    Maxtor 10GB HD 5400rpm NTSF for operating system - WinXP Home.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    It might need time to detect what you\'re telling it. My playback in Sibelius is awful unless I raise the latency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you _lower_ the latency you mean?
    GPO Studio can only render MIDI as precisely as the latency.
    The smaller figure in ms the better (that is until you hear clicks or other distortions).

Probably the thing that will most help you is to use legato mode for these fast parts. Legato mode is engaged with a sustain pedal down message (CC64 = 127) and disengaged with sustain pedal up message (CC64=0). Make sure you have set the Kontakt player \"sustain/sustenuto pedal mode\" to be \"no sustain/sustenuto operation but midi controller\". It is set this way by defauly, but you can check or access this setting by pressing the small options button under the big \"Load\" button in the Personal Orchestra Kontakt player interface. The simplest way you can handle the attacks, is in you score, start legato mode on a staff before the fast section begins, and end the legato mode when the fast section ends. This isn\'t the most sophisticated way to use legato mode, but I\'m sure you\'ll learn more about how to use the legato mode once you start using it.

As David mentioned, you\'ll get better resolution of your piece if you set the latency in GPO Studio to a reasonably low setting (such as a buffer size of 512). The way to do this is usually to use ASIO - I believe CoreAudio will also allow you to achieve relatively low latency if you are on Mac. The other interfaces are usually not able to achieve low latency. If you do use ASIO, make sure you set the buffer size in GPO Studio (Settings | Preferences) to be the same as your ASIO control panel - the asio control panel is immediately acessible directly below where you set the GPO Studio buffer size.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you _lower_ the latency you mean?
    GPO Studio can only render MIDI as precisely as the latency.
    The smaller figure in ms the better (that is until you hear clicks or other distortions).

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand why you said that, but I\'m afraid not. I do have to raise the latency to unrealistically high levels to stop the popping and clicking.

Ok guys, I spent most of yesterday retrying and doublechecking all of the suggestions here, plus some other experimentation. With a single violin it worked if I switched over to the standard volume and pan control but that wreaked holy havoc when going to the whole orchestra.

Under normal settings unless I set the mod wheel to 127, the velocity to 127, and place an accent over the note - in Sibleius - the attack is nearly inaudable. Even long notes result in a swell effect. I\'m losing my marbles here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I have the feeling it is something really stupid but I\'m just not seeing it. Any more ideas?

-Chad

Go Back to forum