• Register
  • Help

Topic: Start Up Samples

Share/Bookmark

Start Up Samples

Hello, friends,
    I am about to \"join the GigaStudio club\", but there is one question.
    Do we get any \"start up\" samples to get us giong when we buy GigaStudio, and if so, which?

Thanx.

Re: Start Up Samples

Wait for GS 3.0. There are supposed to be a lot more samples bundled with it, not the least of which is a better piano. GS 160, the current issue has a \'so so\' piano which is the only sample that comes with it.

The rumor is, that the current \'giga piano\' is so so because they used a Steinway that came out of a studio that did a lot of pop and country. The middle register is \'muddy\' which you may or may not like. I don\'t like it.

Anyway, I would wait. Good luck!

Larry

I\'m not sure the best advice is to wait. It may be cheaper to buy now and upgrade to 3.0 when it is released. Check the upgrade policies at Tascam.

Lawrence

Probably a wash. Cheapest I\'ve seen 160 is 400 pluss 50 for the upgrade. I think I saw 3.0 somewhere for 459 (when available). So if you can\'t wait buy 160 now. Either way you can\'t lose.

Larry

Thanx for the replies, fellas. You\'re right. According to the TASCAM sight, the path from 160 is less xpensive than direct to version 3, but I plan to wait.

I have to convince \"the accountant\" first. Also, that way I may not have to deal with converting old samples to a new format(?)

Is that how it works?

... and by the way, no drums, basses to start with? Only the piano?

I know what you mean about convincing the \"accountant\" but luckily mine is pretty understanding.

I just took a look, and it looks like GigaPiano II, a Kawai this time is included with 3.0 (anything has to be better than that Steinway), \"BUT\" when I bought my GS 160 it came with a choice of 2 additional sample libraries for free (from a limited group of titles) as a promotion. I\'m guessing they will do the same thing for GS 3, if not right away soon after release, and you\'ll be able to backpeddle to get the freebies if you already bought.

BTW, I picked Dan Dean Solo Strings (Very good), and Maximum stregth Steel Guitar (barely usable), so as always do your homework on the samples and try not to buy on impulse. I usually scour the forums for the best advice, and not just go by the demos. Good luck!

Larry

By the way,
    Gigapiano I was Yamaha not Steinway,
    and in fact, I\'m still using quite much, not so bad
    piano that everybody thinks (my opinion [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You are correct Marco. It is a Yamaha. Guess I had Steinway on the brain since I just bought Garritan Personal Orchestra (tremendous) and it has a couple of Steinways in it.

Larry

Go Back to forum