• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: WRITING FOR STRINGS - NEW DOWNLOADABLE BROCHURE

Share/Bookmark

WRITING FOR STRINGS - NEW DOWNLOADABLE BROCHURE

Many of you have written in with some excellent questions that I really appreciated. As a result, I\'ve created a new PDF brochure that covers in more detail the questions you\'ve asked. We\'re adding more to Writing For Strings including the recording of a live student string ensemble to hear what can go right and wrong in a session. Cool stuff.

WRITING FOR STRINGS
    http://www.truespec.com/store/books/courses/writingforstrings/index.shtml

FREE BROCHURE
    http://www.truespec.com/downloads/pdf/writing4strings/stringstalkbrochure.pdf

REVISED RIMSKY-KORSAKOV\'S PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION
    http://www.truespec.com/store/books/rimsky/index.shtml

GPO W/FREE DOWNLOADABLE REVISED PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION
    http://www.truespec.com/store/samplelibraries/garritan/personalorchestra/index.shtml

KIRK HUNTER SOLO STRINGS (sale price - includes solo bass)
    http://www.truespec.com/store/samplelibraries/kirkhunter/solostrings.shtml

Re: WRITING FOR STRINGS - NEW DOWNLOADABLE BROCHURE

Peter, this course sounds wonderful. I took orchestration in undergraduate school. but the course was geared for soon-to-be band directors (I\'m a choral director). We had no instruction in strings. That was back in 1979. Technology has helped me out through the years get closer and closer to \"real\" string writing. This is going to be an excellent course because it takes into account the way I compose through all the little black boxes and software.

What I am wondering is do you ever forsee any plans to branch out and make a course for each of the orchestral families? That would really be awesome!! If it is ever feasible, I know many people could profit from the instruction.

I look forward to taking your class as soon as I get finished with the Music For The Media course. I\'m on Unit 9 out of 11. It shouldn\'t be too much longer.

Thanks for the enormous amount of time and energy you have put into the String Writing project!

Peter,
    the expanded info on your string class is a real appetizer, very informative and well-written. Thank you

[ QUOTE ]
    Peter, this course sounds wonderful. I took orchestration in undergraduate school. but the course was geared for soon-to-be band directors (I\'m a choral director). We had no instruction in strings. That was back in 1979. Technology has helped me out through the years get closer and closer to \"real\" string writing. This is going to be an excellent course because it takes into account the way I compose through all the little black boxes and software.

What I am wondering is do you ever forsee any plans to branch out and make a course for each of the orchestral families? That would really be awesome!! If it is ever feasible, I know many people could profit from the instruction.

I look forward to taking your class as soon as I get finished with the Music For The Media course. I\'m on Unit 9 out of 11. It shouldn\'t be too much longer.

Thanks for the enormous amount of time and energy you have put into the String Writing project!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your kind words.

To answer your question: YES!

The woodwinds material goes into production this fall, followed by brass and then full orchestra. In August, I begin the second volume of the Revised Rimksy-Korsakov\'s Principles of Orchestration. And then later this summer...

[ QUOTE ]
    Peter,
    the expanded info on your string class is a real appetizer, very informative and well-written. Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your kind words. I look forward to seeing you sign up. There\'s a lot to be added that I can\'t talk about right now, but the whole program is a real learning delight. You will definitely have a blast with it!

Peter...

Excellent presentation indeed.

I also want to thank you especially for recognicing and considering us who don\'t read music. Thank you.

Just ordered your downloadable Applied Professional Harmony 101 as per your recommendation.

I\'ll consider my chances carefully, but I must admit I\'m most tempted to go for it. It truly sounds like a great course. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Rodney

[ QUOTE ]
    Peter...

Excellent presentation indeed.

I also want to thank you especially for recognicing and considering us who don\'t read music. Thank you.

Just ordered your downloadable Applied Professional Harmony 101 as per your recommendation.

I\'ll consider my chances carefully, but I must admit I\'m most tempted to go for it. It truly sounds like a great course. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Rodney

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Rodney. I\'ll create a little study guide for you (or anyone else that has APH101) that shows how to use GPO or any sample library with APH 101. Once you see what to do, you\'ll be amazed at how quickly your skills will jump. Do this, then go to Writing For Strings. The fun in exploring you\'ll derive from this is immeasurable!

Sounds great Peter...thank\'s. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Rodney

SecondPost

I\'m afraid I don\'t quite understand what this is.... all it seems like is a really, really expensive book that I have to read on my computer (which is always annoying).

I get a PDF file...
    Midi files of all of the examples...
    A score of Jeux de vagues... (including a midi file and mp3 of the score)
    and Quicktime files demonstrating bowings, MP3s of selected examples

You can find many books on orchestration with recorded examples (including Adler\'s reknowned book) for less than $70.

Quicktime files demonstrating bowings and all of the different string articulations, and many mp3s of selected examples can be found for free at this page, along with examples for every other orchestral instrument.

And, also, why would I choose an orchestration book written by you, Peter, for $150 when I could get one that\'s written by a professor at Eastman and is currently being used in colleges across the world, and is reccommended by many, many composition professors?

I hope this didn\'t sound rude, as I\'m a potential customer. I\'d just like to know what I\'d get out of your course that I wouldn\'t get out of a normal orchestration book, that website I posted, and a few nights reading the Cubase manual.

SecondPost,
    thanks for that link,
    could you please give more info on that Eastman professor\'s book?
    Btw, I have the Adler book and the cds, and it was no cheap, only a bit less than 150 USD.

Go Back to forum