• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Scaring people to death -- suggestions?

Share/Bookmark

Scaring people to death -- suggestions?

I am looking for a waterphone-type of sound that is used in thriller movies (like Alien, Matrix etc.) for sudden scaring audience effects [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    A single abrupt hit rather then an evolving background pad. A strong, high metal scrape, something of acoustic nature (not electronic) to match well with symphony orchestra.

Do you know any sample library of this kind? I know VSL Percussion has waterphone samples but I\'m still saving for the whole Cube anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I\'ve found Zero-G\'s \"Seismic Frequencies\" is supposed to have what I\'m looking for, do you know this lib?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Scaring people to death -- suggestions?

Anvils and Anvils2 from G-Town Sounds

...not a waterphone, but a legit orchestral timbre that can be really effective. There are a ton of hits and you can do a lot with a good convolver like Voxengo Pristine Space and the Spektral Relativity impulses from Spirit Canyon Audio.

VSL percussion

, ithas the most extensive set of waterphone samples EVER. single notes, arpegios, scary noises..all kinds of stuf fI didn\'t even knwo a waterphone could do.

I think its 2GB of jsut waterphone stuff.

buy it in pieces [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

anyhow, Distorted Reality is always a good choice.

checkout absynth and make patches

Atmosphere could have stuff..

record you own metal bucket hits and throw them through convolver (I did this a while ago and got some great resuls)

Hi Abel,

Dist. Reality has some good stuff. Absynth is great as well but you may need to create your own patches as King indicated. Big Fish Audio has some CD titles that may/may not have what you\'re looking for (Poke In The Ear, Things That Go Bump In The Night). I don\'t know how good these are but you could try that. Prepared Piano also gets used a bit for scarey stuff.

You can also try this free sample that I found. It is guaranted to scare anyone and is definitely not electronic. Try this link [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

FV

As far as scrapes go, its not a waterphone, but in the string dept the SISS stuff has GREAT scratches, and behind the bridge articulations for all the string sections. Really good horror-type stuff, and very scary sounding. There lots of other similiarly creepy samples that I haven\'t even ...scratched the surface of yet... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Other than that, G-Town has loads of useful samples in that dept of the free variety, mostly percussively oriented. If you don\'t have them yet, get them. I still prefer the GT bass drum impact to most others as far as usefulness goes. It just has this girth to it! Anyway.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    mike

First, thanks for all your suggestions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The G-Town link was a nice surprise. I like the Anvils very much,
    and Waterbowl as well (whatever it is). I\'ll check the rest soon.

King, you\'ve said 2GB of Waterphone? ... has to be the biggest one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    hard to resist, but it will have to wait :\\

I\'ve never done any creative convolution exceeding reverb, so I guess it might be just the right time to try it now.

I agree that strings are great for scrapes, the problem is I don\'t have a running recording session at the moment, and despite that I will have a large real symphony orchestra for my project I need that sound to replayed rather then performed.

and one more thing about Distorted Reality, listening to demos I have the impression that its more electronic than acoustic nature?

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree that strings are great for scrapes, the problem is I don\'t have a running recording session at the moment, and despite that I will have a large real symphony orchestra for my project I need that sound to replayed rather then performed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I\'m not exactly sure what you mean, but there are some really nice Panderecki glissandi in Garritan Orchestral Strings, as well as lots of odd articulations below the bridge. I\'ve not used them in a piece yet, but I\'ve gone through and tried them out - with hair raising on the back of my neck.

Convolution is not just for reverb any more, and I highly recommend Voxengo\'s Pristine Space, as it\'s multi-channel capable (for when you go to surround mixing) and also is very efficient, so you can run multiple instances for different effects impulses on various instrument groups.

Good luck,
    Houston

Storm Drum has some metal sounds that are all recorded live. They also have giant percussion ensembles. It\'s great stuff but I\'m not sure if it\'s quite what you\'re looking for. No waterphone though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Demo - Listen to the one entitled Storm Drum Percussion

I\'ve got StormDrum, it\'s excellent, but there\'s no scary, pearcing scrape I\'m looking for [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DIVA by Design has a large section of haunted sound designed effects called, Something Strange

This section does not use DIVA vocals. The majority of DIVA by Design is vocal oriented.

Have a small file on the house.

http://www.beladmedia.com/piano-scary-voice-4.wav

Product demos:
    http://www.beladmedia.com/demos2.htm

Go Back to forum