• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO/Sibelius problem

Share/Bookmark

GPO/Sibelius problem

Hi guys,
    I\'m having a GPO problem that I could use some feedback on from other users.
    When I\'m using just one instrument, everything is super. I can run GPO at 2ms latency with no issue whatsoever. Most of the time, I do playback through GPO studio in Sibelius. Here are the problems:
    1) My load times in the Kontakt player are horrendous (If I\'m loading 20 instruments, it takes about 5 minutes to load).
    2) In order to play back those instruments without popping and clicking, I have to raise the latency to at least 100ms.
    3) Even when I\'m not touching or playing a note, the CPU usage meter on Kontakt is over 50%.
    My system is a 2.4 Ghz P4, XP Home, 1.25 GB DDR, and a 160GB ATA133 Maxtor HD. Sound card is the EMU 1010M.
    Maybe I\'m expecting more than I should from GPO studio. Should I only expect low latency from VST instruments, which I haven\'t tried yet?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Mark

Re: GPO/Sibelius problem

[ QUOTE ]
    2) In order to play back those instruments without popping and clicking, I have to raise the latency to at least 100ms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark,

While using Overture with GPO Studio I\'ll modify the Garritan Ambience settings. To remove the popping I lower the Quality/CPU setting in the Ambience window.

The only latency I\'ve changed is the ASIO Buffer Latency which I set to 7ms. I set it down to this value so that playback is not jerky. But I have not yet modified any latency to avoid popping.

Hmm...the ambience change didn\'t really help. I could still sit at over 80%CPU load with nothing happening. I alleviated this somewhat by changing the registry setting that marks memory as non pageable. Load times are much better now. But I still have the latency problems, and even right now, when I\'m clearly typing and not playing, the Kontakt player says my CPU is at 34%. Since I\'m not playing, what is it doing?
    I read something about VIA chipsets causing this type of problem yesterday, and I do have a VIA chipset. Has anyone else had problems because of that?
    Mark

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmm...the ambience change didn\'t really help. I could still sit at over 80%CPU load with nothing happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark,

I can think of one other thing to check. Are you using the \"wet\" instruments? Your CPU usage will go down if you load the \"dry\" instruments.

Adam

I wish it were that simple. I\'m afraid not.

Go Back to forum