• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Euphonium "replacement"

Share/Bookmark

Euphonium \"replacement\"

Since GPO does not yet have a \"Wind Ensemble\" expansion, does anyone know which of the various brass samples could satisfactorily simulate a Euphonium. I want to write for Wind Ensemble, and teh Euphonium is not yet part the GPO.

Re: Euphonium \"replacement\"

FossMan...

I addressed this issue to Adam Burford a while back...I can\'t remember the thread.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE EUPHONIUM... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

BUT [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

One of the GPO solo French Horns will go down to the E below the Bass staff, just low enough for the low note on a three-valve school-type instrument.

When I catch time to prepare it, I will post some snippets of a recent performance I gave at the University of Indianapolis of a euphonium concerto by the hungarian composer Frigyes Hidas.

It might inspire you and/or some of the other talented GPO composers to write a solo euphonium piece accompanied by either orchestra or wind ensemble.

Maybe if GG gets sick of all this euphonium talk here, he\'ll do the euphonium sample he promised faithfully as a top, #1, red alert, get-it-done-yesterday priority and get it into an upgrade. That and the piano would be worth the price of admission.

To hear the euphonium in a brass choir/pop setting, check out the \"Snorlax live\" thread if you haven\'t already.

At the service of all good composers...
    Your ancient euphonium soloist
    Snorlax

[ QUOTE ]
    FossMan...

Maybe if GG gets sick of all this euphonium talk here, he\'ll do the euphonium sample he promised faithfully as a top, #1, red alert, get-it-done-yesterday priority and get it into an upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could one ever get sick of Euphonium talk? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] In fact, last week I was in a hall in Seattle recording Euphonium (among other things). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

Very cool, Gary. Any idea when we could download the sample (or purchase it as an add-on)?

It would be fabulous to have more brass samples for GPO! A Hall in Seattle? Might that be where EMU did their sample sessions a few years ago? I understand that the original samples they did where great, but that greatness didn\'t make it into their \"Virtuoso \" 2000!

Any way will they be ambient samples like SAM brass?

Ambient euphonium? I can\'t wait!

Here\'s another vote for filling out Wind Ensemble and Concert Band instrumentation! Besides euphonium, we gonna need the saxes.

(SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE: BIG HINT AHEAD!! EYE-POPPING WINK!!)

If the upcoming Big Band has appropriately round sax samples, that base oughta be covered. (AHEM!!)

--Eric [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Here\'s another vote for filling out Wind Ensemble and Concert Band instrumentation! Besides euphonium, we gonna need the saxes.

(SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE: BIG HINT AHEAD!! EYE-POPPING WINK!!)

If the upcoming Big Band has appropriately round sax samples, that base oughta be covered. (AHEM!!)

--Eric [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to Euphonium, I have this unexplained urge to go crazy with sax samples. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you are going to add for Wind Ensemble then you have to put in \"dropping mute\" sample. Or better yet...percussionists snoring.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ooo!! Or an expansion near & dear to my heart: \"Garritan Personal High School Concert Band!!\"

Featuring:
    -Flutes with \"billy-goat\" throat vibrato!
    -Double-reeds with cc-mapped sampled reed spit!
    -Clarinets with sampled embouchure leaks at mid-staff B and above!
    -Saxes with attacks that scoop every frickin\' time.
    -Horns sample variations: right hand too far in the bell, right hand grasping rim of the bell, player who doesn\'t know Bb-side fingerings, player who doesn\'t realize s/he is using Bb side of the horn. Bonus 4th Horn sample feature: gets *softer\" when midi volume is increased, simulating the ever-timid 4th horn for ultra-realistic \"balanced\" harmonies.
    -Special Jr. High Horn Overlay: player producing all pitches within a quarter-tone of each other, regardless of fingering. Useful for adding ultra-realistic \"clutter\" to a mix.
    -Trumpets with NEW V.E.M. (Virtual Ego Modelling) - feature that automatically ramps up volume as a piece progresses, simulating the players\' attempt to dominate the balance.
    -Trombones with very sharp low C\'s (lazy 6th positions)
    -Euphoniums with velocity-controlled partial overshooting, to simulate players switched from trumpet.
    -Tubas with randomized \"blat\" samples. Keyswitched performance phrases: \"Smoke on the Water\", \"Louie, Louie,\" and \"Hey, Baby.\"
    -Percussion samples with uneven attack intensity - to simulate players with different mallets, sticks in each hand.

C\'mon...tell me it wouldn\'t sell!

--Eric \"not my kids, never\" G,
    High School Band Director

Oh my god! Talk about memories! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    You forgot the percussionist playing In-A-dodda-da-Vida drum solo during breaks.

Go Back to forum