• Register
  • Help

Topic: Off-Topic, but I do need help from PC experts

Share/Bookmark

Off-Topic, but I do need help from PC experts

Regarding internet surfing. I use a PC for the internet. In the last few months, there are certain pages, (particularly those built with media content, like our members here) that cause Internet Explorer to close. For example, the web-site of midphase. The home page opens, but clicking on any link causes IE to close.

I have upgraded to all current versions of software, that I am aware. System is XP.

At first I thought it may be java. Perhaps it is. All the web-sites that my PC has problems with work on my Mac. Anybody have a clue what may be going on?

Pop-up blockers are disabled. Spyware disabled. Cookies set to moderate....all those things I could think of.

Thanks for any help that could be provided, and I apologize for posting this off-topic here. But I figured there are plenty of PC savvy folks around this place that may be able to offer a solution.

Re: Off-Topic, but I do need help from PC experts

Hi, Im taking a bit of a stab in the dark, but perhaps its websites with Flash content causing the problem? Perhaps try going to the Macromedia website and downloading the latest Flash player, maybe the current player is corrupted.

You also might invest in Window Washer or crap like that to clean your internet cache.(Don\'t try it yourself).

Brian

Oh, some other useful Stuff to keep you up and going. (I use them all)

System Suite 5 (a MUST). Norton does more harm than good now.
    System Mechanic (Used AFTER SS5)
    Internet Cleanup or Webroot\'s anti Spy tools.
    Zone Alarm

(Only Use XP\'s built-in defrag, the others can screw up your system)

After nearly filling up 500 megs of hardrive space, maintaining and running a website, and runing DAW, it boots up as fast as a clean install, and runs like a charm. Been using this set for years, never a virus (despite no anti-virus running in background).This stuff really keeps you up and running. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I prefer the Opera browser myself. Fast and it has a more practical interface than IE.

Have you cleared the temporary internet files (extras->internet options)? This tip might be totally useless for your problem, but the IE has some real strange behaviour if the cache-dir is full.

Malte

Go Back to forum