• Register
  • Help

Topic: Introduction and a Question: Looking for a Serpent

Share/Bookmark

Introduction and a Question: Looking for a Serpent

Hello,

I got GPO a couple of month\'s ago and have been reading the forum for a while and thought I finally jump in the loop and say hello. Unfortunely, I haven\'t had too much time to work with GPO exclusively but from the little that I have experimented with it, I think it is great!

Now for a question:
    I am working on a piece called \"Song of the Serpent\" and I am primarly using GPO for the orchestration but I am missing one essential instrument - a Serpent. Does anybody know of any decent patches in any format for a Serpent.
    So far, the only thing I have found was a patch in Sibelius but I don\'t own it and not sure how authentic it is.

I was thinking that I could mess around with a saxophone sample to mimic the ancient instrument but of course, I want to try and be as authentic as possible.

Any advice anybody could offer is greatly apprecieated.

Re: Introduction and a Question: Looking for a Serpent

Maybe I\'ll feel stupid after asking this, but, what\'s a Serpent?

Re: Introduction and a Question: Looking for a Ser

A Serpent - A deep - voiced instrument of serpent shape used principally in the 18th century, approximately eight feet in length and made of brass or wood.
    American Heritage Dictionary of The English Language
    OR! That lousy slithery thing that bite me while gardening last night![img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Introduction and a Question: Looking for a Ser

There\'s actually a Serpent website. I suppose I shouldn\'t be surprised.

My old Harvard Dictionary of Music describes a serpent as resembling \"a draining pipe suffering from an intestinal disorder.\" It sounds better than it looks.

I contacted Paul Schmidt who runs the Serpent website: http://www.serpentwebsite.com/

On the serpent site is a recording of a serpent playing a scale: http://www.serpentwebsite.com/serpent.wav

If you are ambitious, you could edit out each note of the wave file, do some cleaning and tweaking in a sound editor, and map it in a sampler in order to make a Serpent patch.

Mr. Schmidt asks that if anyone uses the sound samples, that they acknowledge the source in the results.

It would be interesting to hear the results if anyone undertakes this.

Gary Garritan

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are ambitious, you could edit out each note of the wave file, do some cleaning and tweaking in a sound editor, and map it in a sampler in order to make a Serpent patch.

[/ QUOTE ]

This project intrigues me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I\'m not knowledgeable of sound editing... Can someone recommend a sound editor?, and what software products can I use to map the sounds in a sampler to achieve a patch? I don\'t see anything like that in Cubasis.

I assume given any set of wave files I can map whatever I want into a single patch? For example, If I recorded banging on things from my kitchen I could per personal preparation and persistance produce a pure patch of pots and pans--perhaps? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Adam

Mr. Garritan,

Thanks for the information. I will attempt this week to break the wav file into a mappable samples. If I happen to get it to work I will pass it along here.

Go Back to forum