• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: surf-film demo featuring GPO strings

Share/Bookmark

surf-film demo featuring GPO strings

Finally got around to posting a (very rough) demo track I\'m putting together for an independent film-maker here in the UK who makes surfing film/docos. It was filmed in Bali and this is the first thing I started putting together for the director to use.

It\'s fairly trip-hoppy/big beatz stuff - not my usual genre but it seemed to fit the images. It is also my first outing in blending in GPO strings with this kind of thing - very simple ascending patters a few minutes in - certainly nowhere near the fluid mastery of some of the strings work shown by people here but I\'m quite happy with how they sit in with the track. A lot more work needs to be done on mixing and making the strings move right, but here it is anyway.

The end string section is, however deliberatly un edited - I wanted an almost \"chopped up\" feel to the string parts. The repeated voice part (where the title \"dangerous groups\" comes from) is just an audio snippet included in FL-Studio; the rhythm and odd tone of the voice interested me and the piece developed from there.

Hope people like it!

Dangerous Groups MP3 (4Mb approx)

Andy

Re: surf-film demo featuring GPO strings

Very cool. Was this all done in FL?

Where\'d you get the bass from What other modules / softsynths did you use? Is this mostly loops? What kinds of production techniques did you use (EQ, Reverb, compression, etc).

The strings fit in smoothly--they don\'t sound like they\'re coming from a different universe, as is often the case when people try to insert orchestral sounds into electronic music.

In fact, I could use the strings to be even less pristine--try downsampling them, or running them through a low-fi or crackly-record plugin to get that \"sampled off some obscure vinyl\" sound. It might not work, but it might just sound really cool.

chris.

This is a nice example of how GOS integrates with other sound sources. I was very impressed with the work as a whole.
    What source did you use for the drum track? As a drummer, I usually dislike how some program drums but this was done quite well thank you!
    Very nice balance although I was waiting for some dramatic crescendos and decrescendos to happen sort of like the swell of the surf. All in all it is quite an impressive piece. I love it when you guys say \"a ruff demo\". If that was ruff I can\'t wait to hear the polished product! Very cool...
    Thanks for sharing!
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Very cool. Was this all done in FL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanyou Chris! Actually no. The original idea came from setting up some loops in FLStudio, but was then ported across to Cubase SX2/Reason. I love FLStudio because it really encourages experimentation and happy musical \"accidents\" - several tracks have germinated from FL this way.

[ QUOTE ]
    Where\'d you get the bass from

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, my secret weapon. I am a bassist - what you heard was my Sei Custom Fretless. Real bass. Can\'t beat it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    What other modules / softsynths did you use? Is this mostly loops? What kinds of production techniques did you use (EQ, Reverb, compression, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

The main cyclical synth line is done with Crystal, a fantastic free vst synth/sound design tool. The beatz were done in Reason, a combination of programmed and chopped REX loops (my drum programming is primitive at best) compressed, exported into wav loops and arranged in Cubase SX2.

In Cubase I added judicial ammounts of reverb from Anwida DX Free reverb (another fantastic free plugin).

[ QUOTE ]
    The strings fit in smoothly--they don\'t sound like they\'re coming from a different universe, as is often the case when people try to insert orchestral sounds into electronic music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, that\'s what I was after - and hats off to Gary for producing a library that enables this to happen. Being careful and consisitent with reverb also helps sell the \"contiguous space\" of the sound as well. I\'m still working on getting the strings to \"swell\" properly just before each bowstroke using the modwheel. I\'m sampling my cello playing, studying the resultant waveform, then trying to draw in the same waveform into the modwheel channel. It\'s kind of working so far...

[ QUOTE ]
    In fact, I could use the strings to be even less pristine--try downsampling them, or running them through a low-fi or crackly-record plugin to get that \"sampled off some obscure vinyl\" sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try just that in the final mix! Thanks for listening.

Andy

www.audiopHoBic.com

[ QUOTE ]
    As a drummer, I usually dislike how some program drums but this was done quite well thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that make us this forum\'s drum \'n bass outfit? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Very nice balance although I was waiting for some dramatic crescendos and decrescendos to happen sort of like the swell of the surf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely - this would create more of a sense of tension in places. Thanks for the suggestion!

Andy

www.audiopHoBic.com

[ QUOTE ]
    Does that make us this forum\'s drum \'n bass outfit?

[/ QUOTE ]

That\'s an interesting proposition if it is one! With programing musicals, I often wish (if not always) I had a real bassist that could read well and help out.

As I stated before - Very nice drum programming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Andy,

Right before the drums come in I really wanted to hear just the word \"dangerous\" from that quote... that\'s all that\'s needed, just that one word.

After that I would not have repeated the quote again. Just me, but you ought to try it. Other than that, I have to say that while I normally dislike this kind of groove music intensely, this was very nice.

Okay, I\'m editing this as I\'m listening to the end... you introduce the voice ONE more time. This time it\'s edited and at the end it says \"this is... this is... dangerous\".

Trust me -- this will work (although without seeing the images I can\'t say how well).

And now that I see how my post came out I wanted to be very clear here (I put more space but the autoformat screwed it up).

He should say (at the end) \"this is... this is...\" and then (long pause for timing) \"dangerous\".

I dunno, but as a film and video editor this seemed to work for me. Now it makes me want to go and try something similar.

Aah, a real bassist. That\'s the way to go. I can play a little, at least enough to write simple groovy lines. Now I want to go buy a bass. Sigh.

I\'m familiar with Crystal. What a freaking amazing piece of free software. I downloaded it a few months ago and am eagerly awaiting some time to really dive into its features. I actually printed out the manual and intend to read it, which is something I NEVER do.

You should listen to the album \"Music Has the Right to Children,\" by Boards of Canada, and \"Endtroducing...\" DJ Shadow. Some amazing music in those albums, with a similar groove as the stuff you\'re writing. Oh, and don\'t forget Aphex Twin.

And if you like software that lets you experiment and arrive at \"happy accidents,\" download AudioMulch. It takes some getting used to, but I\'ve come up with some crazy textures with that beast.

chris.

[ QUOTE ]

He should say (at the end) \"this is... this is...\" and then (long pause for timing) \"dangerous\".

I dunno, but as a film and video editor this seemed to work for me. Now it makes me want to go and try something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to get some input from the AV fraternity! Yes the palcement/repeating/chopping up of the spoken phrase still has some ways to go. There is, however a stubbon part of me that rather likes how ceasless repetition can transform something mundane into something almost musical (Lucier\'s \"I am sitting in a room\" springs to mind!).

Andy

Go Back to forum