• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Notation software and MIDI control

Share/Bookmark

Notation software and MIDI control

I have read the \"sharing methods of working\" thread with great interest.

For a person with classical music training, it should be a dreams-come-true if a notation software could do everything. Just writing notes on the music sheet and, voila, everything sounds just right....

With Finale and GPO, I feel I am almost there. Almost, because of the way the the notation software deals with MIDI messages.

The way to work with velocities is not very much intuitive. If I use GPO, I have to
    designate a value of CC#1 to each expressions such as ff or mp. I have to designate CC#64 into some symbols. If I need a crescendo or a diminuendo....I don\'t want to even think about it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I have tried Sibelius demo version for a while. It looks fine and better in some aspects than Finale (e.g. crescendo/diminuendo) but it is not also perfect. The MIDI setting panel controls volume(CC#7) but dynamics (f or p) seems to be distinguished by velocity. How can I send CC#1 to GPO? Can I disable the dynamics=velocity relationship in outsenidng MIDI data to GPO for violin and flute? Can I have two different GPO instances to have different meanings of CC#64 (legato/sustain) for piano and other instruments?

I did not tried Overture. It might help.

Such my experience has been, I would like to know the opinions of people here who use a notation software as a main tool to create music.

Sincerely,

Re: Notation software and MIDI control

Getting Sibelius to send mod data is explained in detail on p49 of the GPO manual, but in brief, you need to add an expression like this:

~c1,50

That tells Sibelius to send controller 1 (mod wheel) value 50.

I never did figure out how to get dim and cresc to work this way - in the end I gave up and I\'ve settled on Overture.

HTH,
    G.

Thank you very much for the information. It certainly helped.

I think I have to check Overture. Only information I have now regarding Overture is 8 years old. I heard from my friend who was using Mac that the program is very buggy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It must have improved a lot.

#I miss Music Printer Plus. If it survived the Windows...

Sincerely,

There is a gentleman on this forum who has developed a complete set of expressions for working with GPO in Finale -- Richard is his first name but I don\'t know his user name or number. You might do a search in this forum (do it back six months or so) on \"Finale\" and see if you come up with it.

I understand your difficulties -- truth be told, I work with Finale using the Softsythn and then export to a MIDI file. I process the MIDI with the tool (on Garritan\'s site) to change velocity info into mod wheel, so when I end up in Sonar to remap my stuff to GPO it works. I don\'t get to hear GPO while I compose but in some ways it\'s better, since if it sounds good with softsythn it sounds terrific with GPO.

Overture looks a lot more integrated with GPO, so if you don\'t mind switching notational software it might be the way to go (personally I just enjoy Finale too much to switch).

I use Finale for 90% of my MIDI work. The dynamic expressions I just remap from Velocity to MIDI Controller #1 in the \"playback options.\"

Crescendo/Decrescendo actually isn\'t too bad once you get the hang of it. Print the topic from the on-line manual and follow the instructions. I\'d rather a different interface, but the one Finale provides works.

One of the only things I cannot seem to get Finale to do is to play fermattas and grand pauses. For those, I export to Cakewalk and edit the MIDI data by hand.

Yeah, but what do you do for those instruments that use \"normal\" velocity assignments? (i.e. piano, xylophone, timpani, etc.)?

You could, of course, have two completely different sets of expressions, but I would think that would be nutty (and prone to a whole lot of confusion -- hmmm, let\'s see, I use the crescendo that\'s red for the strings, and the blue one for the timpani...)

Jun,
    I have been working with Finale since version 2.0 on Windows 3.0!

I also used MusicPrinter Plus!! For a DOS program, it did A LOT of things well even if we did have to line beats up manually and consolidate rests ourselves in extracted parts! MIDI Playback was particularly easy and surprisingly good!

Last time I tried, I could not get it to run on a Win98SE machine--I did not even try on XP pro.

As to GPO, I have come to the conclusion that Overture is the best choice for realistic playback via notation. The graphic window for tempo and MIDI controllers is excellent for \"humanizing\" performance, and the NOTES>MODIFY function is also excellent.

If you stick with Finale, the name of the person who did all the work is ADAM BURFORD. He has several tutorials that you can access here and, I believe, on the Finale user group at makemusic.com.

What I dislike most about Finale is (are?) those idiotic \"executable shapes\" used for things like (de)crescendos and accel/rit. Human playback isn\'t quite ready for prime time, either.

The more I work with Overture, the more I like it. Unless the next version of Finale is excellent, I will be switching to Overture for most of my notational needs. Overture\'s quality is just about equal to Finale\'s for most of the work I do, and is MUCH more GPO-Friendly. As soon as I hear about Overture 4, I will be making my permanent decision.

Jim

Mike,

Thank you for the information.

>in some ways it\'s better, since if it sounds good with softsythn it sounds terrific with GPO.

This is a good point. Sometimes I were fooled by mediocre phrases because of too good sounds of GPO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

>Overture looks a lot more integrated with GPO, so if you don\'t mind switching notational software it might be the way to go (personally I just enjoy Finale too much to switch).

Yes, I will try Overture while Finale is good when working on classical-modern style music.

Sincerely,

Foster,

Thank you for your input.

>I use Finale for 90% of my MIDI work. The dynamic expressions I just remap from Velocity to MIDI Controller #1 in the \"playback options.\"

I did not know such a clever trick!

>Crescendo/Decrescendo actually isn\'t too bad once you get the hang of it. Print the topic from the on-line manual and follow the instructions. I\'d rather a different interface, but the one Finale provides works.

Well, honestly I did. But I simply found I am too impatient to use the method all the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

>One of the only things I cannot seem to get Finale to do is to play fermattas and grand pauses. For those, I export to Cakewalk and edit the MIDI data by hand.

I think it is acceptable that some final touch is necessary in sequencer.

Sincerely,

Jim,

Thank you for your comment.

>I have been working with Finale since version 2.0 on Windows 3.0!

That is quite a history!

>I also used MusicPrinter Plus!! For a DOS program, it did A LOT of things well even
    >if we did have to line beats up manually and consolidate rests ourselves in
    >extracted parts! MIDI Playback was particularly easy and surprisingly good!

That\'s true. My only complaint about MPP was the limited memory space with DOS\'s memory limitation.

I will try Overture first then if it is not suitable to my use, I will look for Mr. Burford.

Thank you again,

Go Back to forum