• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My first GPO piece

Share/Bookmark

My first GPO piece

I figured I\'d better start at the shallow end so I didn\'t get overwhelmed ... therefore, it\'s not a symphonic masterpiece, just a sweet little duet. But I\'m proud as hell of it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Feedback is of course welcome.

\"First Flowers\"

The link goes directly the song\'s page on my music site, because if you stream/download it from there I get to see the play counters go up, and watching those numbers go up keeps me motivated to keep making music (feel free to leave ratings and comments on the site, too, that PHP code took me ages to get right!). I hope nobody minds?

A huge thanks to everyone here for getting me started - GPO and this forum have me wanting to make music again, and I haven\'t felt that way in a while [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

G.

Re: My first GPO piece

Gwydi,

This certainly is a sweet little duet. For your first GPO piece this is excellent. I like the performance and dialog you have going with the two instruments.

Thank you for posting this.

It would be nice to put this up on the GPO demo page.

Gary Garritan

[ QUOTE ]
    It would be nice to put this up on the GPO demo page.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Nice? It would be an honour!

You absolutely have my permission to put it on the demo page if you want to - anything I can do to help this wonderful library along is fine with me!

Thanks,
    Gwydi

Gwyndi,

Great little melody. I love \"conversational\" music. I write little chats myself all the time. Excellent work.

Jonny

Excellent piece! I love the choice of instruments. Mind if I add this to my play list on my laptop here at work? This put me in a nice morning mood.

Boy, that stays with you! Cool! Love it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Its time to plant the annuals! I am not much for gardening.

I really enjoyed this piece. I knew from your description that it was a simple duet, and half way through I just knew where it would go.....Boy was I wrong!

For me it was an unexpected surprise. Your \"First Flowers\" simply delighted me! As the flute and oboe played together, the harmonies and counter melodies they wove tickled by senses. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Great work, keep them coming!

William

Gwydi,

This is a charming little melody. The opening flute solo would make an excellent subject for a nice fugue. It’s range is small, so that leaves a lot of room for other parts to interweave, there is breathing room between the fraises to let other counter subjects shine through, the harmonies that are suggested can be either simple or quite complex and it has a simple, delightful, and hummable character about it that if woven throughout a larger work would leave the listener delighted. I hope you develop it into something larger.

I don’t know your music background, so forgive me if I seem a little foreword about this, and you are the one who should do this, but would you mind if I stole your little theme and scored a fugue or theme and variations or something like that? We could call it “Orchestral Fugue on a Theme by Gwydi”. This would be fun for me to do. I have this forum as my witness that you would share handsomely in the millions of dollars we would collect with the masterpiece that would emerge. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It would be a while before I could get to it. I have a lot on my plate in the near future, but it would be a kick to do.

I\'m really blown away with the positive feedback I\'m getting from what I considered to be a very basic first attempt - thank you all!

[ QUOTE ]
    would you mind if I stole your little theme...

[/ QUOTE ]

Karl, I\'m quite likely to expand it into a larger work at some point in the future - I just need to let my knowledge of orchestration and GPO catch up with the ideas I have in my head. So it\'s probably better if you don\'t, at this stage. But I take your interest as an enormous compliment, so thankyou!

Take care,
    Gwydi

Hi Gwydi,

It was the most sincere compliment I could have made to you. As I said, you are the one that should expand it. When I heard it I had several little ideas rise to the surface of my cluttered brain. It just seemed like something fun to fool around with. It was only meant for fun, I would have never posted it here unless you wanted me too. Please believe me, I have never gone around intentionally ripping off other’s ideas. You have a lot of talent. Hope when you have something more you post it.

Best wishes,

I\'m really blown away with the positive feedback I\'m getting from what I considered to be a very basic first attempt - thank you all!

FIRST ATTEMPT! Geeeeezzzzz I would hate to hear your best effort if that\'s supposed to be \"basic\"! Just the harmonization between the flute and oboe was enough to perk up the little flowers!
    Wow.... basic he says. Give me a break! The colors with this piece were so perfectly in tune with the title. I thought I was the only nut here. Been playing it all day!
    Five *****\'s!

Wait...Simon\'s here, let me play it for him....... oh oh... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum