• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tascam GM 500 vs Virtual Sound Canvas?

Share/Bookmark

Tascam GM 500 vs Virtual Sound Canvas?

I know that GM 500 has 500 MB of MIDI implementation but what about Virtual Sound Canvas, any good?

Re: Tascam GM 500 vs Virtual Sound Canvas?

I own GM 500 and have heard the VSC. I wouldn\'t buy either today. GPO is far superior (I own it), and the other competitive offering is EWQLSO Silver (I don\'t own it - I\'ve just heard the demos).

Do you know about other full MIDI library, those ones have a lot of instruments but need a lot of resourses (kontakt/kompakt because I don\'t see a gigastudio version), do you know about other one to use without killing my computer?

Check out Edirol.

They have an orchestral synth, and a super-quartet synth (drums, bass, guitar, keyboards). They\'re strictly synths, so there\'s no loading samples into the RAM.

Thanks, I\'ll check it out, the reason why I\'m looking for a non killing GM is because sometimes I just got a MIDI file and I wanna listen it without loading Cubase, GigaStudio, then load each Instrument into it\'s current MIDI Channel.

Hi Enb...note that GigaStudio has a nice automatic general MIDI loading feature that will assign the GM500 instruments automatically to the correct MIDI channels just by dragging the general MIDI file into GigaStudio. GM500 sounds pretty good (especially instruments like piano, drums, bass) but I found myself sometimes expecting a bit more from a 500 MB general MIDI library (for example the Hruska 8 MB general MIDI library loaded in my old laptop Crystal sound chip is outstanding).

You could also download some of the free soundfont GM files, convert them to gig.

Do you have a version of Cubase later than VST 5.0?

If so, you probably have their Universal Sound Module VSTi which is a 96 voice GM simulator. It\'s not bad for checking out midi files to get a rough idea of how they sound.

From the demos, I think the GM500 library is pretty good, better than Roland anyway.. Here\'s the demos page: http://www.tascamgiga.com/sounds/index.html#gm500

Regards,
    Michael

I already have tryed GM500, I really like it but I\'m looking for another one (VSTi Not Huge) in where I can use it and mix down easily without trying to find the correct GIGA file (that\'s the case of GM 500).

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi Enb...note that GigaStudio has a nice automatic general MIDI loading feature that will assign the GM500 instruments automatically to the correct MIDI channels just by dragging the general MIDI file into GigaStudio

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn\'t noticed that, I\'ll check it out and thanks for the tip.

[ QUOTE ]
    Universal Sound Module VSTi which is a 96 voice GM simulator

[/ QUOTE ]

I\'m beeing used Cubase SX and now I\'m using SX 2 so where\'s exactly that VSTi?

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi Enb...note that GigaStudio has a nice automatic general MIDI loading feature that will assign the GM500 instruments automatically to the correct MIDI channels just by dragging the general MIDI file into GigaStudio. GM500 sounds pretty good (especially instruments like piano, drums, bass) but I found myself sometimes expecting a bit more from a 500 MB general MIDI library (for example the Hruska 8 MB general MIDI library loaded in my old laptop Crystal sound chip is outstanding).

[/ QUOTE ]

How I can do that?

Go Back to forum