• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best sampler for GOS lite?

Share/Bookmark

Best sampler for GOS lite?

I remember it well....\"you need a sampler to use GOS lite\". Can I get some feedback from you wizards of the digital underworld as to which of all is best suited?
    I am in the corner with my dunce hat on and wish to get out so hurry! I only have till this weekend.
    Tanks - [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Ya know... if I was Dorothy I would have screamed at Glinda for making me go through all that trouble knowing all the time I had the means to go home!

Hello? Is that you Barbara?
    Sir, you need an appointment.
    Yes. Is that you honey baby sweety? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Best sampler for GOS lite?

Let me make a pitch for the full Kontakt.

Several reasons -- reasonable price ($250), DFD (lots more instruments can be loaded), same kind of interface you\'re used to (so no major changes there) and I have to believe that any tricks Tom does to make GPO even better will work great with the NI full version (which we know he has and uses).

It also comes with some seriously useful samples in and of itself -- nice guitars, percussion and basses that compliment what GPO already has.

GOS and GOS lite were written for GigaStudio and I would assume work best there... I\'ll see if I can get Houston to take a look at this, he uses GOS and Kontakt, he would know better than myself...

I use HALion (with Cubase SX) which imports Giga pretty easily. (As I imported, I set the \"fxp\"s up in a directory structure which parallels the layout of the instruments in GOS/lite.)

I should point out that I don\'t do anything \"extra\" in the softSampler in regards to most instruments (although there certainly seem to be page after page of tweaks available). With my luck, I\'d had the Viola sounding like castanets if I played with any of that stuff!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] kev

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember it well....\"you need a sampler to use GOS lite\". Can I get some feedback from you wizards of the digital underworld as to which of all is best suited?
    I am in the corner with my dunce hat on and wish to get out so hurry! I only have till this weekend.
    Tanks - [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Ya know... if I was Dorothy I would have screamed at Glinda for making me go through all that trouble knowing all the time I had the means to go home!

Hello? Is that you Barbara?
    Sir, you need an appointment.
    Yes. Is that you honey baby sweety? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did a review of Kontakt 1.5(.2) and found that it streams as well as HALion, for integrated sampler use. I also consider them equal in terms of their ability to bulk-import Giga libraries.

So, it\'s a toss-up. If you **know** you\'re going to be working with GigaStudio when version 3 finally ships, then I\'d say stick with the basics and get GigaStudio. They\'ve reduced the price and the upgrade looks attractive, if you\'re determined to work that way.

If you\'re looking for a VST sampler that has good streaming, HALion and Kontakt are your choices. HALion is better for integration with Steinberg sequencers (aside from the obvious of coming from the same house, the ability to load and select 128 different patches is a necessity with the big libraries) plus the new features that are promised for HALion version 3 look really slick. If you\'re more of a sound-mangler, then it\'s a toss-up between Kontakt 1.5.2 (available now) and HALion 3, which is due out next month.

There\'s also the added wrinkle of HALion being able to install on any machine you want, as long as you do it with the original disk. NI allows you two licenses and has an online registration system. TASCAM makes you pay for every computer you install on.

So, it\'s not all apples-to-apples. Decide what\'s best for you, and rock on.

[ QUOTE ]
    Let me make a pitch for the full Kontakt.

Several reasons -- reasonable price ($250), DFD (lots more instruments can be loaded), same kind of interface you\'re used to (so no major changes there) and I have to believe that any tricks Tom does to make GPO even better will work great with the NI full version (which we know he has and uses).

It also comes with some seriously useful samples in and of itself -- nice guitars, percussion and basses that compliment what GPO already has.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you\'re confusing GOS lite with GPO in your reponse. The Kontakt upgrade is only available by bying Personal Orchestra, which is based on the Kontakt player technology.

Just FYI,
    H3

Thanks Houston!

If his old brain serves me correctly. I would have to upgrade to full kontakt player in order to use GOS lite? That is aroung $300? And Giga has different grades of sampler so which one would work the best? Geezzz, I think I\'ll just plug the BPO into my PC. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Giga currently comes in three different versions: 32, 96 and 160... which refers to voices of polyphony. GOS lite should run pretty well in 96. I have 160, but I also have the full version of GOS so there are many more patches.

I wouldn\'t try 32, that might be too few to get you going, also, keep in mind that when Giga 3 finally gets released... the upgrade for new buys is only like $50... so... that could be good also. (Plus you can use Giga for so much more than GOS lite...)

I hear wonderful things about Kontakt, I just don\'t have it myself (I used to own Kompakt, but upgraded to Giga to take advantage of GOS).

[ QUOTE ]
    If his old brain serves me correctly. I would have to upgrade to full kontakt player in order to use GOS lite? That is aroung $300? And Giga has different grades of sampler so which one would work the best? Geezzz, I think I\'ll just plug the BPO into my PC. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Registered GPO users can upgrade to the full Kontakt sampler, there is *no* full kontakt player - if you also own GPO and GOS Lite, then good for you - you can get the benefits of upgrading to the full version of Kontakt and use it for GOS Lite, too.

But GOS Lite does ***NOT*** entitle you to the Kontakt upgrade by itself. The good folks at Garritan can correct me if I\'m wrong.

Go Back to forum