• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Remote - Network MIDI app by Dan Hristodorescu

Share/Bookmark

GPO Remote - Network MIDI app by Dan Hristodorescu

Dan Hristodorescu has written a program called GPO Remote.

http://www.garritan.com/support/GPORemote1.0.zip

GPO remote is a network MIDI application which allows using GPO studio on the different machine than the notation/sequencing application.

It is composed out of a client and a server application. The user interface is very simple, the only setting required is to enter in the client the name (or IP address) of the remote machine hosting the GPO studio and click connect.
    [*] Requirements:

<ul type=\"square\">[*]on the client side the Maple MIDI ports are necessary (it can be downloaded from the GPO support page or www.marblesound.com) on the client side the Maple MIDI ports are necessary (it can be downloaded from the GPO support page or www.marblesound.com)
    [*]on the server GPO studio is required
    [*]network connection between computers (100 Mb/s recommended).
    [*]For testing purposes it can run on the same machine, simply use localhost as the remote host (although you achieve the same thing as using the GPO ports directly [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])[/list]

Features: :

<ul type=\"square\">[*]very low latency
    [*]extremely low CPU usage
    [*]stateless connection: sequencer, client, server, GPO studio can all be restarted independently and the link will still work.[/list]

It maps:

<ul type=\"square\">[*]Maple MIDI port 1 channels 1-8 to GPO studio 1 and Maple MIDI port 1 channels 9-16 to GPO studio 2
    [*]Maple MIDI port 2 channels 1-8 to GPO studio 3 and Maple MIDI port 1 channels 9-16 to GPO studio 4
    [*]Maple MIDI port 3 channels 1-8 to GPO studio 5 and Maple MIDI port 1 channels 9-16 to GPO studio 6
    [*]Maple MIDI port 4 channels 1-8 to GPO studio 7 and Maple MIDI port 1 channels 9-16 to GPO studio 8[/list]

Thanks Dan for writing this application. GPO Remote will be of great use for people using GPO across multiple machines. And thanks Alan for you graphic input!

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO Remote - Network MIDI app by Dan Hristodorescu

[ QUOTE ]
    Garritan said:

Thanks Dan for writing this application. GPO Remote will be of great use for people using GPO across multiple machines. And thanks Alan for you graphic input!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan. I just wanted to thank you also for all you work on these midi apps. I\'m on a single machine right now and can\'t utilize these yet, but once my studio grows out of the corner of my bedroom and I get networked, I hope to take full advantage... thanks, again...

PS. No prob Gary on the graphics... sorry I was confused about what you needed at first...

Re: GPO Remote - Network MIDI app by Dan Hristodorescu

Sounds great. Many thank\'s to Dan for this plugin. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Rodney

Re: GPO Remote - Network MIDI app by Dan Hristodor

I just hope you find this application useful.
    It\'s not actually a plugin it\'s just a simple standalone application.
    I want to thank Alan for his help with the UI, Jeff Hurchalla for his suggestions and of course Gary for his support.
    I see someone gave me some stars too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thank you guys.

Dan

Thanks for the great app Dan. I\'m looking forward to putting it through its paces this weekend [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Cool concept.

So let me get this straight. Once my main studio is open, if I have a project there and I want to work with it at home using GPO, I can? Will my partner at his home studio and myself at mine be able to work on the same project? Am I hearing this right guys?
    Forgive me; it takes me a bit to understand things sometimes.
    I\'ve got to study this again.

I guess you could do that as long as you can live with the latency involved on going over the internet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was more thinking of one the following two scenarios:
    <ul type=\"square\"> [*] Using a notation or sequencer on a regular machine and hosting GPO studio on a different (more powerful) computer in your studio, something like using Finale or Sonar on an small laptop you could also carry at work and having GPO on a bigger desktop machine.
    [*] Using GPO alone or along with other VST instruments on more than one machine for having better usage of your memory/CPU. For example you could have in Sonar some instruments as VST plugins on one machine and have the rest of the instruments on a second computer on GPO studio. If you have 2 computers with each 1Gb of RAM you would be able to use it as one setup having 2Gb. I’m not sure about the licensing of the GPO player but I guess it would be ok if you have both Kontakt and GPO.[/list]

In each of these cases you would probably get a better latency than using a MIDI cable between the two computers without the hassle and in a better configuration, using 4 MIDI ports instead of just one.

I hope this helps,
    Dan.

I think I am beginning to see the application now.
    Thanks.

I now have Dan\'s program up and running! It works like a dream! I\'m looking forward to getting a whole lot of use out of it!

Thank you Dan for sharing this with all of us!!!!

William

William pointed out something and I have to explain a bit about how the MIDI channel mapping is done:

The application will translate Maple port 1 channel 9 into GPO player 2 MIDI channel 1 (not 9) and up to Maple port 1 channel 16 into GPO player 2 channel 8.
    So basically Maple channels 9-16 are transformed into channels 1-8 for next GPO player.

Dan.

Go Back to forum