• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question #932.

Share/Bookmark

Question #932.

This always had me wondering and I was never clear on it. Having programed \"It\'s Just The Gas\" tonight, it struck me that I am always struggling whether the bass guitar follows the bass in the piano or an octave lower or higher. I am using a hand written score and it is very hard to follow. I usually trust my ear and go with what sounds best. Since there are so many composers and professors and Ginger and Marianne.... in this forum I thought I should ask.
    You see, a while ago I was chopping wood in the forest and it started to rain and...
    If I only had a full Kontakt player.

Re: Question #932.

The electric bass is usually notated like the upright bass--bass clef, 8vb. Most likely you\'re just going from a piano score, though, which is why you brought up this question in the first place. Generally speaking, if the piano\'s left hand pinky is playing mostly in the staff, the bass should play down 8vb. If the piano\'s left hand pinky is playing in leger lines, the bass should probably be doubling it at pitch. (This is just my rule of thumb, nothing I\'ve learned in any official manner). In standard tuning, the bass reaches down to a low E, although a player will occasionally tune the low string to a D for special purposes.

For the most part, it\'s best to use your ears--if the bassline is fast and percussive, then really low bass would probably be too muddy. If it\'s a whole note ballad or a 4-on-the-floor type bassline, the lower the better.

chris.

Re: Question #932.

\"Generally speaking, if the piano\'s left hand pinky is playing mostly in the staff, the bass should play down 8vb. If the piano\'s left hand pinky is playing in leger lines, the bass should probably be doubling it at pitch.\"

OK, then from what you are saying I am on the right track. Basicly I\'ve done this all along with musicals in the past staying away from what sounds \"muddy\" and doubling where it calls for. Usually, I have a conductors score and parts for respective instruments. This season has been hell and even worse with getting the score so late and only having 5 regular rehearsals left. If I had the budget I would hire musicians to play and save myself alot of work and aggravation. Well, I am on my own here and felt the need to ask this question. It\'s up to me to make this music sound as close to real as possible without having any one of the instruments sound out there. I haven\'t used GPO in this once so far.
    Thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum