• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO: PC/Mac minimum spec - not equivalent?

Share/Bookmark

GPO: PC/Mac minimum spec - not equivalent?

Hello everyone,

Sorry for my first post being a slight rant(!), but has anyone else found the minimum spec for GPO misleading or do I have a setup problem?

1) Celeron 1.8Ghz 512mb desktop (win2000 pro) - despite being bare minimum spec does everything I want no problem. Great!

2) 1Ghz G4 mac laptop (running 10.3.3) with 1.25gb RAM - quite a bit above minimum spec only
    manages about 12 instruments before breaking up.

Judging by the garritan website, I\'d have thought the mac would outperform the desktop (actually part of the reason I took the plunge and bought an Apple - I\'m a logic audio fan i\'m afraid!) I\'ve tried reducing Ambience quality and have max buffer size in GPO Studio - though I\'ve found that I can get more instruments using V-STack instead. Freezing is not an option cos I mainly use sibelius.

Are we likely to see a kontakt player update to improve mac performance any time soon (the new beta mentioned..)? Or have any other mac users got any tips for optimising? If not, maybe garritan should update the minimum specs on the website to something more comparable....! Obviously I need to decide which machine to register permanently on - and i\'d much prefer the laptop, but if there\'s no chance of an improvement...

Btw, I\'d like to say I think the GPO is great - amazing value - and if I could get my G4 laptop performing like the Celeron i\'d be soooo happy with it!

Cheers,
    Chris.

Re: GPO: PC/Mac minimum spec - not equivalent?

I\'m in the same condition, I asked a lot of time but as i understood is not up to gary to optimze the player for mac, but is up to kontakt. I\'m also hoping that the new updtae will improve the mac performances but it\'s just an hope.
    For your \"registratio problem\" remember that you can register GPO in two machines!

[ QUOTE ]

Are we likely to see a kontakt player update to improve mac performance any time soon (the new beta mentioned..)? Or have any other mac users got any tips for optimising? If not, maybe garritan should update the minimum specs on the website to something more comparable....! Obviously I need to decide which machine to register permanently on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Chris,

I spoke with Native Instruments yesterday about the new player. I was advised that there are enhancements to the player that will provide better performance on the Mac. There are some Mac optimizing tips on the GPO support page (Troubleshooting - OSX). We\'ll know soon from the beta guys about the updated player\'s performance on the Mac. You don\'t have to decide which machine to register permanently, you get two installs so you can register on both.

Gary Garritan

thanks a lot for th news.
    We know that you are doing the best you can for your customers.
    thanks again [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Michael

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I read the Troubleshooting page and realise that all the various OS X revisions have caused developers a few problems!! It mentions a large CPU/memory increase with OS 10.3 over 10.2.7 - can anyone confirm this as their experience? I don\'t have Jaguar, but if I could definitely run 3x the instruments I think I\'d find a way to get hold of it for the time being!!
    ;-)

Didn\'t realise you could register on two machines! That\'s great news - thanks Gary - obviously didn\'t read the manual properly... And thanks again for the great library - I\'ve been waiting for an \"orchestra in a box\" for ages!

Cheers,
    Chris.

Go Back to forum