• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which do I buy: Giga or Kontakt?

Share/Bookmark

Which do I buy: Giga or Kontakt?

I allready have an older version of Gigastudio 160 -- havn\'t used it in years.

What does Kontakt have that Giga lacks-- why would I buy it over keeping/upgrading Giga?

Can Kontakt play back the libraries as well as Giga?

Is the sound quality better w/ giga? Do I need Kontakt for Garritan Personal ORchestra?

What is the equivalent to GPO for Giga?

Thanx

AD

Re: Which do I buy: Giga or Kontakt?

I\'m still a little surprised that G3 is not vsti compatible. I would have thought it would be a given since both Halion and Kontakt work as vsti\'s. Of course with Rewire, it\'s less an issue than is was, yet the vsti format seems to be more universal and easier to use. Also, the Giga vst wrapper is still scheduled for release...but it has yet to be proven in the marketplace. As far as I know, Kontakt is the only major soft sampler that works as stand alone and vst. I tell you, after working with the vst format, it\'s hard to go back.

Giga just has so many great libraries, and some do not transfer well into other formats. If I only had one sampler, I\'d pick Giga just simply because of all the libraries out there. Some samples do sound better in Kontakt because it is 24 bit, but G3 promises 24 bit samples, so that difference will soon be history.

When you talk about \"which one sounds better\", I guess that would take into consideration included effects. I\'m pretty excited about Giga Pulse. The included effects in both Giga and Kontakt suck (I do prefer Kontakt over Giga\'s nfx), but Giga Pulse promises to be a full fledged convolusional reverb. I\'ll be interest to see how it compares to Altiverb and other high end reverbs. If it sounds as good as it looks, I might forgo the upgrade and just get the Giga Pulse vst plug...If only..IF ONLY Gigapulse was included as a vst plug in the G3 package, it would be a no brainer....but Tascam chose not to do this.

One comment about customer support..I read a report the other day that says according to research, crappy customer support doesn\'t really translate into lost sales. Tascam is a shining example of how this theory might possibly be true. Tascam took down their support forums a while back and pretty much told it\'s customers to get lost. Yet people still line up to buy their stuff...

On well...

Regarding GPO, doesn\'t it come with a self contained player?

There\'s been a lot of discussion on this. It\'s been beat to death, I know...but still a topic worthy of discussion. I suggest doing a search, but my opinion is that Giga is still the standard. If I only had one sampler, I\'d have to say it would be Giga.

Good luck, and I hope some of the other folks around here chime in...

Re: Which do I buy: Giga or Kontakt?

[ QUOTE ]
    I allready have an older version of Gigastudio 160 -- havn\'t used it in years.

What does Kontakt have that Giga lacks-- why would I buy it over keeping/upgrading Giga?

Can Kontakt play back the libraries as well as Giga?

Is the sound quality better w/ giga? Do I need Kontakt for Garritan Personal ORchestra?

What is the equivalent to GPO for Giga?

Thanx

AD

[/ QUOTE ]
    Some answers:
    No, you don\'t need Kontakt to get GPO (it\'s included).
    No Kontakt has not a better sound quality for the same samples in 16 bit (but it supports 24 bits and Giga only 16).
    There is no equvalent of GPO for Giga, only Gold (EWQL) for Kompakt.
    Giga appears to be more stable than Kontakt.
    Kontakt has a horrible interface [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    If you\'re in \"tweaking\" the samples and doing sound design then Kontakt is 1000 times better.
    If you\'re in using samples as they are (orchestral music) then Giga seems the better choice.

Do a search in the main forum (sample library discussion) and you\'ll find more opinions.

Go Back to forum