• Register
  • Help

Topic: An homage to Glass/Adams/Reich/Riley

Share/Bookmark

An homage to Glass/Adams/Reich/Riley

After one of the worst \"outages\" of any of my computers (ever! so i guess i should be countin my blessings!) my music system is mostly back (90%) and I got to work on the first in a series of \"Symphonic Trance\" pieces. It\'s posted on AcidPlanet here: \"Journeys - Symphonic Trance 2004-1\" and I\'ve also added it to my Ampcast.com list here .

The standard \"play\" on AcidPlanet is of the (required) WMA file which is 56 K in deference to dial-up folks. The HiFi play on Ampcast is a 128 K MP3.

Except for my favorite HALion Wizoo Platinum Grand piano, everything else is GPO and was accomplished in Cubase SX 2.

I used one whole instance of GPO with the \"multi\" for French Horns, locking them into one MIDI channel and speading them slight close to center in two groups (of the mixer). All of the remaining voices (String Basses, 1st Violins short bows, Celli, Basic Orchestral Percussion, Flutes, Solo Clarinet and Tuba) were in a second instance of GPO. I am not yet using the GPO Ambience and all instruments were \"dry\" with some cases of individual (customized) reverb added, along with final mix reverb and no other effects.

Comments, brick-bats welcomed!

TIA ... kev

Re: An homage to Glass/Adams/Reich/Riley

Very nice Kevin...and ironic, I just bought \"The Desert Music\" and have been listening to it for a week. I like your piece a lot (the gong\'s so cool).

Kev,

Excellent work. This is uplifting and nicely arranged. I like the orchestration you used to create dramatic tension. Like all good minimalistic music, it doesn\'t lapse but remains fresh.

And as your title states in this post, it is a nice homage to the minimalist masters (I had the privilege a while back to take a course with one of the - Philip Glass). Minimalism is one of the most popular styles of concert music yet it has its controversy. Some argue that it is insanely repetitive, similar to rap music merely masquerading as music. Its supporters assert that it is vibrant and alive, combining various musical genres that reach the widest possible audience.

If you would email me the mp3 (can\'t seem to download it from AcidPlanet) I would be happy to put it on the GPO demo page.
    Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

I left my review on ACID Planet, Kevin, but I must agree with Gary\'s comments. Also sorry to hear about your recent computer \'outtage\'. I recently had to redo certain things on my new PC I built. Those kind of things can be Soooooo frustrating when your on the creative \'train\' so to speak.

I\'m keeping your compositions on my permanent collection!

Thanks to Glenn, Nexus and Gary for your kind notice of my Journey - Symphonic Trance 2004-1 . Since I posted that notice, I’ve been busy with GPO and GOS. As of today there are FIVE additional new pieces (3 in the “Symphonic Trance” group, one sentimental Irish-inspired cinematic piece and another “in-progress” version of my “Transitions – Orchestral Fantasy” which was previously mentioned here, but has progressed through a couple of refinements).

Here’s the complete set of links:

Challenges - Symphonic Trance 2004-2

Tutti - Symphonic Trance 2004-3

Transitions - Orchestral Fantasy 2004-1

The Green and Gold Hills of Cork, Ireland

and

Forest Mummerings - Symphonic Trance 2004-4 (which uses only GPO).

All of these are also on my Ampcast.com page (at the top) here: Kevin Fletcher Tweedy at Ampcast.com

(The postings on AcidPlanet are, by default, as 56K WMA file, in deference to the largely dial-up audience. There are usually 160 MP3s posted there for download, but what you’re listening to when you hit the “Play” button is the 45K WMA. The “HiFi” version on Ampcast.com, by contrast, is always a 128K MP3, derived from whatever (higher) MP3 one transmits to them (which becomes the version which you can download there at Ampcast.)

I was surprised and pleased to learn that “Challenges” had also reached the top ten in FIVE categories (as of May 3) on Broadjam.com (Classical - Contemporary Top 10, Production - Instrumental Top 10, Production - Mid Tempo Top 10, West Top 10, and Classical Top 10).

In all candor, I must give the two Garritan collections a huge credit of inspiring me to “work my orchestra” a lot more intensely of late.

I appreciate all comments and/or suggestions on these or any other works, either in this thread or directly by the forum person-to-person message route.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Kev

Kev, is there any other way to hear your work? Heck if I know what my studio PC problem is and here at work I am blocked from your site. Man, one of my favorite pastimes is listening to people on this forum and their original music. Technology is sure not for the little guy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    I hate feeling left out! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

In deference to those who are blocked by firewalls and other administrative paranoia in getting to the AcidPlanet and/or Ampcast sites, I have set up a \"personal preview page\" on my(semi-)commercial site here .

The page features (in latest-first order) my latest pieces both in MP3 160K HiFi format and in 56K WMA format. I\'ve included brief notes for each piece on the production stuff used (i.e., GPO, GOS and other resources).

There is also an email link at the bottom of that page to send comments, suggestions, etc., directly to me.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] kev

Go Back to forum