• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please review my Showreel

Share/Bookmark

Please review my Showreel

Dear people,

I would greatly appreciate if you could have a listen to that 5min collage of orchestral, tangoesque, pop and experimental pieces. It´s the first time I do this kind of Showreel and any comment would be very helpful.

www.audionomio.de/mp3/Showreel_Nitschke.mp3 (5min, 128kbit/s, 4.5mb)

It´s a mix of virtual orchestra, real performance and electronically transformed sounds. This is a sample library forum, so my main used libraries are VSL Opus1, Halion string edition, GPO, and some Dan Dean.

Thanks,
    - Mathis

Re: Please review my Showreel

Who is the showreel for? In other words... are you tying to get employed, and in that case by who and for what?

[ QUOTE ]
    Who is the showreel for? In other words... are you tying to get employed, and in that case by who and for what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you being so nosey, eh ??

Whats your point? You dont think these are relevant questions when reviewing someones showreel? At any rate I think its not only relevant, but essential if i\'m to give any meaningful review...

I think this is a relevant question. It´s intended for directors and producers, potential \"customers\".

ok... I like most of the composisions.. some are even pretty complex. I dont know what kind of films you had in mind, but I would say that the music has a very european quality to it... So unless thats very intentional I\'m missing some action and more hollywood style.

That being said I in no way beleive that you MUST have that in yor demo reel just pointing out that if you want to score the next Medal of Honor computer game you need to think about it.

So to make a long story short I like your stuff.. its quite well made but might lack in the action department

Thank you, Marcussen (Christian?), for your kind review.
    No, this market won´t be mine. There are lots of people who can do this epic and action much better than me. I tried it, but it´s really not my music.

Any more reviews, of course also wild insulting ones, would be very much apreciated.

Bests,
    - M

Yes its Christian here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, if thats the case then I would say you have a very fine demoreel :up:

One thing I would suggest is that the beginning of the reel (at least for me) does not grab my attention and say \"LISTEN TO ME\". So perhaps either rearranging the order of cues or putting something else at the beginning that makes an exciting statement (In your own way). Remember, it is a demo reel and don\'t necessarily treat the compilation like you would a classical piece. Believe it or not...a lot of directors and producers listen to these things on the go and in their car, etc...You have to grab the listeners attention in the first 10-15 seconds or they will track forward or turn it off.

Also...while I can see some of the ecclectic compositions working as underscore...after listening, I can not remember anything I listened to melodically. Might be due to the complexity. Don\'t change it....it is your style...just find a way to focus it. There is a time for underscore that does not get in the way of dialogue and there is a time for music which makes a statement and is memorable. And then there is a time where it just sets a tone. Setting a tone is what I get a lot of in this compilation. As someone said....it has a European sound to it. Something I could see behind a movie like Amelie.

One thing I learned from studying with Christopher Young was to learn how to write orchestrally in song form. Try writing a simple melody (in your own style and memorable), then expand upon that in your own unique way in song form. See what you come up with. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats your point? You dont think these are relevant questions when reviewing someones showreel? At any rate I think its not only relevant, but essential if i\'m to give any meaningful review...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, guess i miss interpreted your comment .. although, who else would it be for ? his grandmother ?? ... just thought it was the obvious that a showreel is to present past works to potential clients. Anyhow ...

I agree with other post, come out of the gate punching!!! Grab their attention. Also it\'s not a bad idea to send it off to get properly (professionally) mastered, a loud and proud reel will get more attention. And show you went the extra mile to in a professional manner.

Go Back to forum