• Register
  • Help

Topic: Old demo, brand new changes, need mix/reverb input

Share/Bookmark

Old demo, brand new changes, need mix/reverb input

http://www.samhulick.com/Lands.mp3

Changed the ending entirely and made it a bit more of an ambient piece by taking out any strong themes (with the exception of the intro).

Anyway, I\'m using Cakewalk Studioverb for this production. Does it sound OK? Any tips? Man it sure beats using Giga\'s NFX reverb.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I can\'t pinpoint it, but it just sounds \"cleaner.\" I started with the \"Piano - Warm Concert Hall\" preset and messed with the settings a bit..added a bit more decay time (4s), upped the room size in a serious way.

Thanks for having a listen!

Re: Old demo, brand new changes, need mix/reverb i

OK, my girlfriend had a listen to it. She liked it except for the bit of Diva X in there, she said it doesn\'t go with the rest of the piece. I think maybe it just stands out too much where it is..maybe if I moved it somewhere else so it blends in better, that might be an improvement.

Version with oboe instead of voice:

http://www.samhulick.com/Lands_Oboe.mp3

Hey Sammy,
    I always come away from your comps with a mental image of you composing in nothing but a kilt while braveheart plays on mute in the background. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As Martha would say... It\'s a good thing. (the comps, not you in a kilt)

Sorry I missed this one. Comps are slipping through my radar these days. A fair argument for that proposed comp section here at Northern.

Nice work , here are my two cents. I prefer the oboe , (tho I have to say that I barely noticed diva in the first one) , but I think you can afford to bring the little bugger up in the mix a tad. The strings sound great off the top but the drop-off at the 1/3rd mark may be a tad abrupt. A gentler fade out might serve better. As the harp plays that melody throughout , the thought of replacing it with (?...piano maybe?) during that last descending line was a thought that hit me. Lastly, the three bars of trems at the end don\'t sit right with me. Just doesn\'t seem like the articulation for that oh so gentle ending. Maybe trem swell for the whole three bars with cellos taking over the part they play now.

Ok, that was more like four cents! Nit-picking cuz I know you and I feel I\'m entitled after this time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Minor sh*t tho, and just some thoughts... it sounds nice as always.

cb

I also like the version with oboe, although you can bring it out a little bit more with a swell at 0:18 as the harp is drowning it.

The composition itself is very good: sparse yet complete. You do capture the Braveheart aura so well, Sam!

Hey guys

You\'re right, the oboe (as well as other instruments) are pretty quiet in the mix. There\'s a reason for that.. this clip was modified to be more ambient and not in-your-face. You know how when DVD menus have music playing and it\'s just a bit too intrusive? That\'s pretty much what I\'m trying to avoid. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The other reason is that with some cues I shoot more for soft colors & blending by toning down instruments to low levels so they blend really nicely with other instruments in the composition.

I\'ll have to sit down with this when I get some free time next week. I think maybe the oboe at 0:18 does need to be just a little louder.

Also, christian: the drop-off, are you talking about when the string tremolos end at 0:17?

Oui Monsieur Hulick,
    :17 is correct.

cb
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You\'re right.. the dropoff is way too abrupt. I\'ll fix that up.. thanks!

Go Back to forum