• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My 1st: Filmic hip-hop inspired track w/ GOS LE

Share/Bookmark

My 1st: Filmic hip-hop inspired track w/ GOS LE

Hi first of all I would like to thank Gary for his quality sample libraries, I have been a user of GOS LE for nearly 2 years now. Its wonderful stuff, I can\'t wait to upgrade to the full version. Its a great place here and one can learn so much by the work of others. There are a lot of composers here whose opinion I will value for sure, I have been lurking here for a long time.

I hope this is OK to post here....

I have just got some webspace and have finally loaded up some of my music to see what people think of it. I haven\'t really shown to it to many people, at least not many who now what they are doing when it comes to production, arranging and mixing etc.

I would really love your feedback on this piece which uses GOS quite heavily. Maybe it could be used as a GOS LE demo if you think its good enough??

Here\'s the link, its the first track, Whats Missing?:

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~simone_tom/SwingGiantProductions/Home.htm

Thanks very much
    Regards Tom

Re: My 1st: Filmic hip-hop inspired track w/ GOS LE

Lots to love in there (koto! backwards! funky clav!). GOS isn\'t really too featured, so it seems demo status would be doubtful in my opinion!

- m

Hi Mark, thanks for the compliments...there definitely is a lot in there!

The strings are just part of the bigger picture, however I thought maybe, just maybe it might be nice to show GOS used in another context, as opposed to the more traditional scores around here - which are obviously done by people who know how to write strings etc. There is a lot of work I admire here.

What did you think of the string parts, it was my first real attempt at incorporating the samples into my work?

Sorry for the poor quality MP3s if you found them a bit lo-res, I will be posting bigger better ones shortly.

Cheers Tom

[ QUOTE ]
    The strings are just part of the bigger picture, however I thought maybe, just maybe it might be nice to show GOS used in another context

[/ QUOTE ]
    True!

[ QUOTE ]
    What did you think of the string parts, it was my first real attempt at incorporating the samples into my work?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounded good to me, but I\'m just a low(ly) brass player... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

- m

TomW,

I tried to access the demo, but the \"page was not found\". I\'ll keep trying.

The animated VU-meter is very cool! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

Hi Gary,

I\'m sorry about that, I deleted the files to save web space, as I only have 10MB. I have posted a higher resolution MP3 at the request of some people on another forum.

Here is the link to the track:

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~simone_tom/SwingGiantProductions/Whats_Missing_Hi-Res.mp3

Thanks very much for all of your input so far. I\'m pleased you thought the string writing was OK. I\'m planning on replacing the rather dubious solo strings at the end when I get some nice solo samples, funds permitting!

Cheers Tom

BTW there ain\'t nothing wrong with brass players! but they are the butt of most jokes at my college! (no offense intended!)

Hi guys,
    Juts wondering if anyone has listened to the higher res version yet and would like to share their comments?

Thanks a lot
    Tom

I\'ve listened, and I like the track (Enigma influence?) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I can\'t offer any from-experience advice on the string programming, but I did think a few times that it sounded a little monophonic, like you were using a solo string line where maybe you should be using an ensemble. Whether that\'s right or not depends on what you were trying for, of course!

Regards,
    Gwydi

Hi Gwydi!

Thanks very much for your comments - I\'m glad you liked it!

The funny thing is - I\'ve never listened to enigma in my life....I know what it is but I wouldn\'t list it as my inspiration! I would say that Rob Dougan and Craig Armstrong were influences though.

A friend of mind said it reminded him of Jean Michel Jarre but I\'ve never listened to his stuff either!!

Which bit do you find monophonic? If its the ending, then you would be hearing the poor solo strings (violin and cello) that I used from Sampletank/SonicSynth.

I mean to replace them with KH or GPO when I can afford them.

Cheers Tom

nice track. I\'m a mixture of dance music/symphonic myself.. Love the intro before the high strings come in.. drums sound really nice, the overall groove is really my taste. In terms of strings arrangement, the general impression is that the strings are very \"choral\", which is fine in this context.

But in my opinion you could work on the dynamics (mod wheel) a bit to really breath life into a lyrical phrase. But.. well, that\'s just the theorist in me. I know it\'s really hard to do dynamic string phrases in dance tracks because it makes it harder for the strings to cut through the other instruments during soft phrases.

Really nice stuff tho. I only use GPO, but it\'s cool to hear GOS in dancable contexts.

Go Back to forum