• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Pro Tools Sound?

Share/Bookmark

Pro Tools Sound?

Hi Everybody!
    First of all, excuse me if this is the wrong place but, anyway:
    Please, could anybody tell me if Pro Tools Software have a particular \"sound\" compared to other sequencer/audio recorders?
    Yes, I know that the hardware is responsible for the in/out sound, but I just wonder if Pro Tools have a different, prefered sound over the other software.
    I\'m using Logic 5.5.1 with Digi001. I don\'t like Pro Tools so much, but if this improves the sound I\'ll switch. Right now, I don\'t hear any difference by myself (monitoring thru Mackie 824 and Yamaha NS10)
    I always hear my productions thin sounding compared with other productions even knowing that many others do with very modest equipment.
    My equipment: Panasonic DA7 mixer, dedicated PC 2.4 for Gigastudio with Delta 1010 Card, Dedicated PC with V-Stack, for VSTi\'s with Echo Gina24. Main Recording Pc PIV 2.4 with 1Gig Ram, Digidesign Digi001, Logic 5.51 , Waves plug-ins for processing and mastering
    No phase problems. Maybe I\'m paranoic but I don\'t know what else to try... I still hear my music \"lacking\" a deep, big sound. May be I\'m so accustomed to the Studer/MCI combination studio I worked before... Is there any not so expensive solution for that big sound of analog?
    Thank\'s in advance for your comments and help!
    Best Regards
    Jose Pereira

Re: Pro Tools Sound?

Like you said, 99% of the sound is in the hardware. The main consideration is in the dithering algorithm. If you record in 96k, you have to dither to 44.1 for cds. I use Sonar as my DAW, but I don\'t like it\'s dither to 16 bit. Samplitude has the best sounding algorithm of all the systems and many PROTools use PT as the DAW and Samplitude for the mastering. If you are just tracking, it doesn\'t matter too much. You would probably send the master off in 96k anyway. The other consideration is the effects. Some people use the packaged plugins and base the sound quality of the DAW on those - bad decision. However, Sonar has some GREAT sounding plugins with the Sonitus pack, but, for example Cubase lacks greatly in that department. I, personally, will never own a Protools system because I think they will be obsolete fairly quickly unless they do something soon. I can produce as tight and sonically acurate of a mix with my Mackie Control and Sonar as I can with a Protools rig. However, if you are talking about mixing down on something like an SSL, that is another question. Price, quality and expandibility with my Sonar Studio won out over the cost and maintenance of PT. I hope this helps. If you need more answers, just ask. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Please, could anybody tell me if Pro Tools Software have a particular \"sound\" compared to other sequencer/audio recorders?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No.

Please correct me if I\'m wrong, as I have only worked with Cubase, Logic, and PT, but doesn\'t Samplitude employ the POWr dithering algorithm? If so, then it\'s the same dithering tool as Logic...which to me sounds quite good. Cubase/Nuendo\'s Apogee UV22hr dithering from 32 bit 96k sounds pretty clean as well. But oh boy Digi\'s 192 i/o sounds great when played back at maximum resolution [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What I\'m interested in finding out is....what digital recording and dithering solution did the major sample libraries use?

There is a particular sound when using ProTools, recently people have stopped using it because supposedly other programs sound better (it has more to do with summing and the way it handles things like gain changes, eq, etc... not so much the silly dither thing) For example, I\'ve used Vegas for years now (I used to use ProTools in school), and just recently discovered it\'s one of the better sounding progams (in terms of it\'s quality of summing). The differences must be damn subtle though, cause you can still get a decent mix outta ProTools with some effort.

If you really really want that good ol analog sound you could very well use a quality analog mixer, or there are a number of outboard analog devices that JUST sum to a stereo buss and pass it back into the computer (or wherever). Dangerous Music is one popular example, but there is also API and a few others making these kinda DAW-helper products.

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a particular sound when using ProTools, recently people have stopped using it because supposedly other programs sound better (it has more to do with summing and the way it handles things like gain changes, eq, etc... not so much the silly dither thing)

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree it has a little to do with summing, but every current* audio app uses a 32-bit internal resolution. The majority of detail in the mix stems from that resolution. The dither is not a silly thing because is the resulting product of your final mix.

To answer the POWr question, yes, it does use POWr, but I do not think (I may be wrong, though) that it is the exact same algorithm as Logic. It could be - Logic does sound good once it has been dithered. The Samplitude forums - even the guest user forum - has some threads about the sound comparisons. The mostly focus on Nuendo and Samplitude though.

As for hardware devices, don\'t forget the Grace Designs ANSI dither either. It is very clean sounding. The benefit for the external gear is that they have a tighter word clock for sync\'ing the mix for the dither.

Ultimitaly, all of this rambling makes a neglible amount of difference on the product. Everything listed is professional, and able to produce professional results *if* you can mix and master professionally. It is sort of like how gas stations charge that extra 9/10 of a cent for gas. We read the sign as $1.65. They see almost $1.66. We are analyizing the final 9/10ths of the whole recording process. It adds up in the end, but the difference is insanely minor in the scheme of things. The outboard gear gets the sound you want. The DAW is for production. Go with what you are most comfortable using and won\'t break your bank. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pro Tools has a POWR dithering plug-in too.

if you put crap in....you get crap out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

seriously make sure you understand what you\'re comparing too. It might be your skill as a mixer or mastering that jsut needs time to improve. Not the gear/software

Recording, mixing and even mastering is an art, and takes time jsut like learning an instrument.... you\'ll always get better.

EDIT:

I dont mean this in a condecending manner. I havent heard your mixes, they might be great, and you\'re jsut being overly critical.

If your mixes suck, go out and buy something.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast