• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New GPO studio in Digi 001/Mac Improved

Share/Bookmark

New GPO studio in Digi 001/Mac Improved

It works!

GPO Studio 1.2 no longer crashes when I switch to the Digi hardware driver, so I am now able to run it. That\'s a big improvement.

Also, the record to disk feature is seamless. No problems at all.

There are a couple of workarounds, though. At first, the sound was crackly and distorted, which was solved by changing the buffer from 64 to 256 in the preferences menu. The catch? Every time I changed the buffer settings, it would either crash or I\'d get the message, \"Unable to load/tmp/resetDSP.gpo The main XML document cannot be empty.\" So I restarted. No biggie, really. Sometimes I would get this error message as well: \"Bidule Error! Driver timed out on play.\"

I can open and save patches using the folder/disc icons at the bottom of the keyboard with no problems whatsoever, but everytime I tried to save the studio as a whole (i.e. strings.gpo) GPO Studio would crash. It wouldn\'t be so bad if it saved the file first, but it never does, it just crashes. Again, I did not have this problem when saving patches or Ambience settings.

Also, the Ambience bypass works fine, but the presets are now limited to only Ballroom 1. No biggie, just saying.

So... there\'s only one problem on my end really, and that\'s the crash during save, which is consistent whether I\'m using the built-in driver or Digi audio driver.

It\'s greatly improved overall. I\'m interested in hearing how it\'s working for Alix Chatelain on his MOTU hardware.

Mike Jasper

Re: New GPO studio in Digi 001/Mac Improved

Hi Mike!

Well, I\'ll be looking into it (GPO-Studio + MOTU PCI 424) in the coming week - Easter has been a pretty hectic family affair!

Reading the posts as yet has not really raised my level of enthusiasm because of your tales of system crashes and \"Ambience bug\" surfacing. I\'ve got a few studio dates this week and want my system to be well tuned for the jobs - can\'t afford any crashes just right now.

Keep it up, I\'ll soon join you in the testing.... Alix

Alix --

The Ambience \"bug\" is no big deal, since it\'s only about presets. If there\'s a favorite preset you have, just save it before you upgrade and you should be fine.

Hope you had a good holiday.

Jasper

[ QUOTE ]
    Alix --

The Ambience \"bug\" is no big deal, since it\'s only about presets. If there\'s a favorite preset you have, just save it before you upgrade and you should be fine.

Hope you had a good holiday.

Jasper

[/ QUOTE ]

Jasper & Alix,

It seems there\'s a workaround for the Ambience preset bug. bmpsound in the \"GPO Studio v.1.2 with \"GPO Streamer\" discovered that a\"fter SAVING a preset, all of the original presets magically re-appear\".

Jasper, see if this works for you. We should have this fixed by the time of the release (this is only a pre-release right now).

Gary Garritan

Re: New GPO studio in Digi 001...Motu PCI424

Hello Mike and Gary... and everyone who\'s interested!

Alix reporting back to you with news and non-news about GPO Studio v.1.2 in tandem with Sibelius3.1.1 and Motu\'s 2408mk3/PCI-424 combo. Other hardware includes Apple Dual 1.25 G4/OSX2.6, 1.25 gig ram.

First off: after having installed GPO-studio v.1.2, I noticed I was able choose the PCI-424 as an audio output in the settings menu and, the GPO-studio application would not crash - Bravo! That\'s progress.

So, in a nutshell here\'s what happened yesterday.

Booted up Mac - installed GPO studio v1.2 - repaired permissions - started up GPO studio and set the I/O\'s (no crash!) - booted Sibelius3.1 which recognised the 8 GPO players in its devices window.
    Next I load up a little Sibelius two-part score I had lying around and configured the first GPO-Player (1) with the right instruments, back in Sibelius configure the mixer window and then hit play - Hey, it worked ..... until I stop playback and clicked upon a single note as if I would wish to select it, edit it (transpose or move it around, whatever) and now from this point onwards the sound is all distorted: if I hit play the score is played back with the same instruments sounds but covered with a heavy layer of digital crackling distortion.

If I go to GPO studio preferences and change the buffer (default at 256k) GPO-studio crashes instantly - however after rebooting the application (GPO studio) the new buffer settings are somehow remembered, but even after having selected various different buffer settings (and endured the consequent crashes) the digital crackling in the sound remains unaltered - initial \"clean\" start of playback of the score, but as soon as notes are clicked upon individually (for editing purposes) digital distortion raises its ugly head, again .

I noticed also that once the crackling is \"there in your face\" so to speak, a way to make it disappear, temporarily, is to fold the Sibelius window (orange toggle) and make it come back on the screen. If I play the score at this moment the sound is pristine, until playback is stopped, any note clicked upon and \"bang\" distortion comes right back.

I haven\'t gone any further in researching the probable causes for this anomally but shall look a little more into it this weekend - if I come up with additional info I\'ll post it, if not I\'ll just wait and see what happens. Years ago I remember having had a similar problematic situation with TC\'s SparkXL, when they were still at v.1.5 and it necessitated a lot of beta testing and quite a while to resolve it, but in the end they did; the problem being that a sound-file would initiate cleanly but would distort as soon as transport had been stopped and bits and pieces from that same file were subjected to any kind of editing whatsoever.

Thanks again to all who are sharing their knowledge and expertise of this wonderful tool.
    And yes, I too noticed the Ambience presets vanishing trick - no big deal for it pales totally to the other niggle I mentioned above.

All the best, cheers.... Alix

I\'m using the new GPO Studio with sibelius 3.1 and Protools 192 i/o thru Core Audio on a Mac G4 MMD Dual 1ghz. Everything seems to be working fine so far. It\'s thrilling!!
    Thanks Gary and the rest of the GPO crew for working on the fix. It\'s GREATLY appreciated.
    Todd Kasow
    www.kickstartfilms.com

Gary -- Yep, the Ambience preset trick worked. Messed with the settings on Ambience, saved it as presettest.fxb, called up the file and all the presets magically reappeared. Odd.

Alix -- Sounds like we\'re having basically the same glitches. Have you tried using GPO Studio with just a few instruments? I can get up to six before the digital clipping occurs.

Now this is interesting...

mxman1 (Todd) writes:
    [ QUOTE ]
    I\'m using the new GPO Studio with sibelius 3.1 and Protools 192 i/o thru Core Audio on a Mac G4 MMD Dual 1ghz. Everything seems to be working fine so far. It\'s thrilling!!

[/ QUOTE ]

At first glance, I thought the difference must be Protools 192, but after thinking about it that doesn\'t make sense. Both Todd and I have dual G4s, we\'re both running on Jaguar and we\'re both using CoreAudio 6.1.2 -- unless you upgraded to Panther, Todd. That would likely explain everything.

So... same machine, same system, and both running GPO Studio using Digidesign CoreAudio 6.1.2. Don\'t see where the hardware would make a difference in this scenario, since the GPO Studio and the CoreAudio driver are running from the host CPU, as opposed to the ProTools 192 DSP chips. Baffling.

Todd. How many instruments can you run at once?

Jasper

Jasper,

I\'m only using two \"voices\" (Instrumentsiano + cello) in one player and it clips as soon as any note is selected for editing - after initially having started playback without clipping.

And altering the buffer settings does nothing to change the situation, I\'m sorry to say - I\'ve tried them all.

I think I could perhaps call someone at NI next week and listen to whatever they might have to say about this, their tech-support is pretty knowledgeable and it concerns a kontakt player after all ...

Yep, think I\'ll do that. So I\'ll leave it for now and hope to find a clue then, or an indication.

In the meantime... straight ahead!

Alix

Jasper
    I\'m not in front of my G4, but I did install JackOSX at one point. I\'m not sure if that\'s whats running now or not but it might be worth a try. It hasn\'t seemed to hurt anything and I\'ve got a lot of different programs. www.JACKOSX.COM
    I\'ve had little time to experiment but I did write a piece that had 9 voices with ambience turned on without any problems. (I have 1gig of ram)
    hope this helps rather than hurts.
    Todd

Alix writes:
    [ QUOTE ]
    I\'m only using two \"voices\" (Instrumentsiano + cello) in one player and it clips as soon as any note is selected for editing - after initially having started playback without clipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

That\'s all? Wow. Well, I\'m definitely getting better results than you are right now. Good look with the call to NI.

Todd writes:
    [ QUOTE ]
    I\'m not in front of my G4, but I did install JackOSX at one point.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first I\'ve heard of this. If I read the Web site correctly, does this mean you\'re using Jack instead of Digidesign CoreAudio to run GPO Studio?

I\'ll check this out and let you know what happens.

Jasper

Go Back to forum