• Register
  • Help

Topic: What will happen When Every thing goes 64 bit?

Share/Bookmark

What will happen When Every thing goes 64 bit?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I am really confused as to what will happen to all the money we have inverted in our software when everything goes 64 bit. Does this mean that everything we own will be useless if we upgrade to 64 bit processors and host?. Geez I am just about ready to spend about another $2000 on software and feel that I am about to short change my self. Can someone explain.

Re: What will happen When Every thing goes 64 bit?

Thanks for the response. So your saying if I went with an athlon64 bit processor and the 64 bit ver of Xp I can install all my software at 32 bit and it will work no problem?. Hmm! I would like to think that I can do that and would to see my cpu drop as I understand 64 bit would help imensly while using samplers and mixing plugins like waves.

Yes your right the beta is somewhere on the MS site, Ill check it out. I had no idea that you could run 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS. So all cash invested on 32 bit software wont be a waste after all? Thats great! Someone was saying that 32 bit software would have to be re written to work, that\'s why I was wondering. Thanks again!

Well, it would certainly be wise for the software companies to offer modest upgrades to the 64 bit versions for existing customers.
    Dave

Its my understanding (and I could certainly be wrong) that the software apps are written to perform in a certain address range of memory (ram).

When 64 bit becomes available, I believe software upgrades can be released to make your program work in the new address ranges that 64bit offers.

Thanks for your replys. To Dave, yes if companies did offer an upgrade that would be nice, especially with the cost\'s of mixing software and other big CPU hungary software. I find that everything coming out these days are fabulous but yet not to good for the 32 bit limitations, as for memory they say that anything more than 2 gig\'s won\'t really be realized under 32bit under XP. So I was thinking of upgrading to the amd 64 processor and the Asus K8V motherboard with another Gig of ram making it 2 Gigs and 1-74 Gig raptor drive. I already have a 120 Gig 8 meg HD. I basically want to run everything at 24/96, and with an investment with the Waves plugins I\'ll need the memory and the Processing ability. Sorry for all the talk but when your gonna shell out a couple thousand I could use all the feed back I can get. Thanks again ppl. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum