• Register
  • Help

Topic: MBO & RAM

Share/Bookmark

Re: MBO & RAM

Harry, Asus makes a few boards in the P4(P or C) line. There was one on Newegg that indeed only had 2 ram slots, but for 2 dollars more you could get the next model up and get 4. Performance drop from 400 mhz to 333 mhz probably isn\'t substantial, and there\'s only a few companies that make 1 gigabyte ram modules at this time and they\'re pretty expensive (like 400.00 a stick.) Keep in mind when installing memory in DDR MOBO. Always install the same size ram from the same manufacturer in the slots in pairs. DDR won\'t benefit you if you only have one ram module installed or have a gig ram and a 512 installed. They will run at single channel speed (similar to SDRAM.) Hope I made sense.

MBO & RAM

In addition to my AMD & RAM question:
    am I blind or is it right that the ASUS P4P or P4C MBO\'s just have two RAM-slots?

Those boards are for Pentium: If there are only two slots, then I can either have only 1 GB of RAM (2x 512) or go fot the hellish expensive 1GB modules??? Is this right?

Please tell me not or where to get very cheap 1 GB modules. I wanted to put at least 1,5 GB Ram into my new computer.

Just in case anybody knows: regarding the AMD. If DDR 400 is reduced to 333Mhz because of using the thrid memory slot: how much performance do I really lose?

thankx very much in advance

Harry

Re: MBO & RAM

<<<Keep in mind when installing memory in DDR MOBO. Always install the same size ram from the same manufacturer in the slots in pairs. DDR won\'t benefit you if you only have one ram module installed or have a gig ram and a 512 installed. They will run at single channel speed.>>

Actually, you only need dual channel RAM if you have a dual channel MOBO -- which is a good reason to stay away from them. You can also get a standard MOBO and use single channel DDR RAM with no real performance penalties. Then, of course, you get into Low Memory Timing vs. High Memory Timing and the choices will likely fry your brain.

Whatever type of memory you choose, I would personally stay far away from a MOBO that only has two slots. What\'s the point?

Go Back to forum