• Register
  • Help

Topic: USB midi ports

Share/Bookmark

USB midi ports

I recently built a new computer with a VIA motherboard that doesn\'t have a game port. As a result, I went out and bought a Midiman UNO USB plug for my keyboard.

Well, I had no end of problems with my soundcard. The sound would cut out intermittantly, squealing sounds, you name it, I had problems. Problems I\'d never had with my previous VIA board.

At first I thought it might be the dreaded VIA problems, so I dutifully updated drivers, etc. Still no luck. I checked for IRQ conflicts, AGP problems, reseating cards, BIOS settings, blah, blah. Still no luck.

Then I read somewhere that midi USB plugs can cause problems (spontaneous reboots, which I was also getting). So I installed a USB filter and some updated drivers for my UNO and things improved drastically. The spontaneous reboots were history and the sound ONLY cut out once in awhile, requiring the latency settings to be reset. Annoying, but livable.

Last weekend, however, I decided to unplug the UNO and plug in an old gaming card with a game port built in. Then I switched to my old game port midi plug to run the keyboard.

I have not had one problem with my soundcard since. No drop outs, nothing. It works perfectly, as it did in the old computer.

The moral of the story is that there is something seriously amiss with USB midi -- at least with the UNO unit I had. I contacted them and they insist it should work fine, but the only thing that worked was dumping the damn thing.

Anyone want to buy it? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: USB midi ports

The VIA chipsets have had some problems with correct implementation of the USB spec, epecially the older chipsets. The MIDIMAN/M-Audio USB MIDI adapters don\'t get along well with VIA chipsets and I suspect they need to fix the drivers. The Edirol (Roland) USM MIDI interfaces on the other hand work quite well with VIA (and other chipsets) and we recommend them over M-Audio for VIA-based motherboards.

The Edirol (Roland) USM MIDI interfaces on the other hand work quite well with VIA (and other chipsets) and we recommend them over M-Audio for VIA-based motherboards.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I can vouch for this as this is what I have and never had any problems. Must\'ve been lucky! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Roland it is, then. Because I\'m having nothing but conflicts with the old game port card I stuck in. My sound card is still working fine, but XP doesn\'t like the gameport card.

I now wish I had simply gotten a mainboard with a gameport built in....

Go Back to forum