• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hammerfall Digital -> mackie HR624

Share/Bookmark

Hammerfall Digital -> mackie HR624

Hi I\'m looking to build a gigastudio DAW with a Hammerfall 9636 and a pair of Mackie HR624 studio monitors. What is the best way to get the audio into the monitors? I assume the monitors only take 1/4 inch connections, but most mixer boards don\'t have optical in connections (for the Hammerfall). Similarly, I could easily take the hammerfall output into a reciever (my home theater reciever has optical in), but the speaker outputs on recievers are usually meant for cable wire, not 1/4 inch jacks. What am I missing? Thank you in advance!

Dave

Re: Hammerfall Digital -> mackie HR624

Originally posted by Hammersmith:
    Hi I\'m looking to build a gigastudio DAW with a Hammerfall 9636 and a pair of Mackie HR624 studio monitors. What is the best way to get the audio into the monitors? I assume the monitors only take 1/4 inch connections, but most mixer boards don\'t have optical in connections (for the Hammerfall). Similarly, I could easily take the hammerfall output into a reciever (my home theater reciever has optical in), but the speaker outputs on recievers are usually meant for cable wire, not 1/4 inch jacks. What am I missing? Thank you in advance!

Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Does the 9636 have a headphone monitor?

Thanks for the replies! Do you know a good place to buy a 9632? Also, if I do use digital out, what is the best way to get the sound to a pair of nice studio monitors? Do you have to purchase an incredibly expensive digital mixer? What are some options for mixers that can accept optical digital?

Oh... and on the 9632, I assume the analog is available through a breakout cable (along with the midi, etc.)

Thanks again!

Dave

Another quick poll:

Does anyone have experience with the following inexpensive studio monitors, should the Mackies not fit my budget?

Event TR8
    NHT A10
    M-Audio BX5

No. It has no analogue outs.

Check the RME website, www.rme-audio.com - they also have a new variant of the famous HDSP 9652, the HDSP9632, which DOES have analogue in and out.

You need to purchase one of the optional Analog expansion boards.

Originally posted by Runyon:
    You need to purchase one of the optional Analog expansion boards.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'d like to warn against the expansion boards. I have an HDSP 9652 with AEB-8 In and Out, and the output is rather noisy (apparently from the PC\'s internal). Maybe the 4 port version is better in this respect, as it has balanced outputs.

Again, check out the new HDSP 9632. As the analogue output is integrated on the card, it should be easier to return the card if it does not live up to the published specs. In my case (separate mini expansion boards) I would probably first have to try all possible slot combinations to see if I can reduce the noise.

Go Back to forum