• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ATA Hard drives - which?

Share/Bookmark

ATA Hard drives - which?

What do you all recommend for a ATA Hard Drive, either Western Digital or Maxtor?

Cheers,

Re: ATA Hard drives - which?

seagate baracuda 7200.7 8 meg cache either 80 gig or 120.
    If noise is not a factor check out the WD Raptor it is a 10k RPM 8 meg cache, with a seek time of 5.2 for under $150. Only down side it is only 36 gig.

The Seagate and Western Digital drives are excellent! I have a maxtor in one of my machines at home and it is very noisy [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] my other personal machine has Western Digital JB drives in it and they are very quiet. When we were developing our new digital audio workstations we went with the new Seagate drives over the Western Digital JB\'s because they were even more quiet, and are just as good performace wise.

Hope This Helps! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I was behind the curve it seems, as I thought the Maxtor was better than WD. Thanks for the advice. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by vash:
    I was behind the curve it seems, as I thought the Maxtor was better than WD. Thanks for the advice. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No Problem!

The Maxtor drives are good just way too loud! I would much rather hear my music than my hard drives grinding away (well at least most of the time) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I am doing very well with the WD 7200 rpm/8mb drives.

I have two Western Digital/120GB/7200/8Mb cache drives and they also have worked well for me.

I\'ve also been using the 7200rpm 8MB cache Western Digital drives and I\'m happy with them. 40GB (system drive) and 80GB (sample drive).

If you want a silent PC, there is only one option: Seagate Barracuda IV/V - possibly the new 7200.7 too. No matter how silent the newer Maxtors and WD\'s claim to be, they are much, much noisier than the Seagates.

2 Western Digital 80 gig/8 meg cache drives here too. No issues here either.

Devon

Go Back to forum