• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cello Solo

Share/Bookmark

Cello Solo

Here's a cello solo piece I wrote a few months ago. I hope to soon listen to other's posts.

Cello Solo

Edited 10/20/20

Re: Cello Solo

Hi Phil,

I've never tried my hand at a solo instrument piece.

How do you sum up your experience composing
    this piece? Which cello is it?

It is a pleasant piece, rolling away calmly.

What I feel is missing is to hear when a phrase
    begins and where it does end.

Thanks for sharing.

~ Yudit ~

Hi Yudit,

Well, I guess it does tend to sound like an extended melody with variations. I originally thought about working on a string ensemble but it became a cello solo. Perhaps I need to rework it as a solo effort for more variation or also add additional instruments. It’s probably more difficult or at least different to compose solo work than for an ensemble or duo.

The cello is the LASS First Chair cello.

Thanks for the comments.

Phil

Hi Phil,

It's nice to hear some solo work here. The chosen cello has a realistic sound and a decent timbre, with even some small (tonal) inaccuracies to make it more believable. The piece you wrote has something of a cello study in detache playing. I don't know whether it was your intention, but the bowing is a continuous detache. Maybe some more legato playing would enrich the composition as a contrast (if possible of course with your library). A bit more variation in dynamic bowing would work miracles as well (differences between bow attack and bow end, with a little swelling in between).

Great work, Phil, good to hear such daring work.
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

It's nice to hear some solo work here. The chosen cello has a realistic sound and a decent timbre, with even some small (tonal) inaccuracies to make it more believable. The piece you wrote has something of a cello study in detache playing. I don't know whether it was your intention, but the bowing is a continuous detache. Maybe some more legato playing would enrich the composition as a contrast (if possible of course with your library). A bit more variation in dynamic boing would work miracles as well (differences between bow attack and bow end, with a little swelling in between).

Great work, Phil, good to hear such daring work.
    Jos
    Jos,

Yes, I suspected it to be lacking some realism as far as dynamics. I’m not sure if the LASS FC Cello has this capability as it was never intended for solo work but probably just layering. Perhaps I can squeeze a little more dynamic out of it by editing the note velocities.

Thanks for the critical ear and helpful feed back.

Phil

Go Back to forum