• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sharps And Flats

Share/Bookmark

Sharps And Flats

Well, here's some musical tomfoolery. I composed this using only the sharp and flat keys.

Sharps And Flats

Re: Sharps And Flats

Phil,

I liked your unusual piece.

I liked especially the part starting at 1:17
    and liked best that starting at 2:20.

For me it sounds like a hypnotizing tribal dance...!

Keep up the creative flow!

~ Yudit ~

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Phil,

I liked your unusual piece.

I liked especially the part starting at 1:17
    and liked best that starting at 2:20.

For me it sounds like a hypnotizing tribal dance...!

Keep up the creative flow!

~ Yudit ~
    I’m glad you enjoyed this musicYudit!

I wasn’t planning on this approach but as I started to mess around with some ideas I thought it would be fun to see what I could create being restricted to using only the black keys.

I remembered reading that Irvin Berlin has no formal music training and as a child taught himself to play on an old piano where only the black keys worked so he wrote almost all of his music in the key of F#, relying mostly on the black keys and then used three different transposing pianos to change the key along with the aid of scribes to notate his music.

It would be interesting to watch this being performed as the section at 1:17 probably would require eight trumpets so they could spell each other for breathing and the last section would probably require two harps.

Phil

I think you are under-rating this piece. The part from 1:15 is just simply very good. The 2 harp part is again very East-style, you did this before, sounding Chinese a little, but so fresh and new. I just love it. If I did not say this before, I'll do it now, you are progressing for the past 2 years more than any of us and orchestrating very well. Please keep it up, and good health to you my Friend.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I think you are under-rating this piece. The part from 1:15 is just simply very good. The 2 harp part is again very East-style, you did this before, sounding Chinese a little, but so fresh and new. I just love it. If I did not say this before, I'll do it now, you are progressing for the past 2 years more than any of us and orchestrating very well. Please keep it up, and good health to you my Friend.

Ted
    Well, thank you Ted!

I was working with a self imposed limited set of structural choices so maybe this forced me to experiment more, taking chances. Maybe the first part of this piece was “see what one can do with these limited choice in an orchestral sence” and the second part starting at 1:15 was more of a musical flying leap for better or for worse. I’m happy you found it the former.

Phil

Go Back to forum