• Register
  • Help

Topic: Watch your Step!

Share/Bookmark

Watch your Step!

Apparently this one has to do with current events.

Mostly synth sounds and also strings, snares and timpani.

Watch Your Step!

Re: Watch your Step!

Thematically this piece is interesting, it definitely conveys a certain feeling.. There are lots of delicate things happening thru-out especially as the piece begins. I really like the section at 2:18 and the end.. It remains consistently 'full' through-out the piece.

It's taken me about 50 years to understand the classical orchestra as an 'organic instrument synthesizer'.. Each instrument, and the instruments (and number of them) chosen to be used, has been refined to make to be able to create any mood, emotion the composer wants to convey.

The evolved composer/arranger, wisely chooses which instruments add color and timbre in spots. He weaves these in/out of the piece, so it evolves with ups/downs/ density/sparseness.

The issue with the first synthesizers were they were all subtractive synthesis, they used sawtooth (extreme rich in harmonics), square waves (consisting only of odd harmonics) was a welcome relief, as well as triangle and sine wave (the most pure).. They were great for loud brash sounds, but not a lot more

As synths progressed all kinds of filters came out, not just low pass or high pass. Additive synths came, different way to build a sound.. Finally Sample libraries which a whole lot of us rely on. They gave us the ability create works more orchestral sounding

You might develop more intricacy, if you changed patches, or modified voices as the piece built.

Mind you I'm in a 'very overloaded, over stimulated state of mind today living in NYC and dealing with several unpleasant issues. So I might not make the same comments two days from now.

I think I understand your intention.. so what I said here might not be appropriate. Cause some music is meant to 'be in your face'', it is part of the emotion you want to relay. So take this with a grain of salt.

Hi Phil,

Very beautiful indeed and well chosen instruments building a consistent whole.

I can't help feeling this is a film score in some desolate but impressive, rough scenery. Really good work, Phil!

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Enjoyed all the way. Interesting, and telling us to step very carefully. Thanks for this post, made my day.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    Thematically this piece is interesting, it definitely conveys a certain feeling.. There are lots of delicate things happening thru-out especially as the piece begins. I really like the section at 2:18 and the end.. It remains consistently 'full' through-out the piece.

It's taken me about 50 years to understand the classical orchestra as an 'organic instrument synthesizer'.. Each instrument, and the instruments (and number of them) chosen to be used, has been refined to make to be able to create any mood, emotion the composer wants to convey.

The evolved composer/arranger, wisely chooses which instruments add color and timbre in spots. He weaves these in/out of the piece, so it evolves with ups/downs/ density/sparseness.

The issue with the first synthesizers were they were all subtractive synthesis, they used sawtooth (extreme rich in harmonics), square waves (consisting only of odd harmonics) was a welcome relief, as well as triangle and sine wave (the most pure).. They were great for loud brash sounds, but not a lot more

As synths progressed all kinds of filters came out, not just low pass or high pass. Additive synths came, different way to build a sound.. Finally Sample libraries which a whole lot of us rely on. They gave us the ability create works more orchestral sounding

You might develop more intricacy, if you changed patches, or modified voices as the piece built.

Mind you I'm in a 'very overloaded, over stimulated state of mind today living in NYC and dealing with several unpleasant issues. So I might not make the same comments two days from now.

I think I understand your intention.. so what I said here might not be appropriate. Cause some music is meant to 'be in your face'', it is part of the emotion you want to relay. So take this with a grain of salt.
    Hi Mark,

Yes, I understand your point about some development of the voices but I felt it could say what I wanted it to say best just using this more minimal approach. Just expressing a common sense idea about a volatile and fluid subject matter.

For interest on this one there was the opening synth loop constantly playing the same melody and then I added a second synth melody and then a third melody all kind of talking at the same time like in an opera.

I started with a Juno 60 KB synth and used it like a pop instrument and some experimental things but I didn’t really consider it truly proper musical instrument like a piano or other natural/electric instruments. Now, this has changed with, as you said, technological advancement and also the integration of the new sounds and orchestral sounds in soundtrack work. Not that many people go to an orchestatal concert but most play games and, or go to the movies.

Thanks much for your input and thoughts about music.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

Very beautiful indeed and well chosen instruments building a consistent whole.

I can't help feeling this is a film score in some desolate nut impressive, rough scenery. Really good work, Phil!

Jos
    Thanks Jos!

It does lend to that sort of imagery. Maybe with also a few special effect sounds tossed in.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Enjoyed all the way. Interesting, and telling us to step very carefully. Thanks for this post, made my day.

Ted
    Hello Ted,

Thanks for commenting!

Yes, just a gentle nudge that can stand the test of time.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Hi Mark,

Yes, I understand your point about some development of the voices but I felt it could say what I wanted it to say best just using this more minimal approach. Just expressing a common sense idea about a volatile and fluid subject matter.

For interest on this one there was the opening synth loop constantly playing the same melody and then I added a second synth melody and then a third melody all kind of talking at the same time like in an opera.

I started with a Juno 60 KB synth and used it like a pop instrument and some experimental things but I didn’t really consider it truly proper musical instrument like a piano or other natural/electric instruments. Now, this has changed with, as you said, technological advancement and also the integration of the new sounds and orchestral sounds in soundtrack work. Not that many people go to an orchestatal concert but most play games and, or go to the movies.

Thanks much for your input and thoughts about music.

Phil
    Hi Phil.. I didn't mean to come across as 'preachy'.. Perhaps a short coming in me, is to listen to other's music, and imagine how I would approach it.

It certainly stands tall as it is. Perhaps I need to remember those 'music and art appreciation courses in college I took.

Go Back to forum