• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Good headphones that have bass boost built in?

Share/Bookmark

Good headphones that have bass boost built in?

Here\'s my situation: I have an Audiophile 2496 card.. great stuff. My speakers are your basic 2 + subwoofer set.. really nice bass sound to it, but no headphone jack. So I bought this little device that I plug the sound card and speakers into, and when I plug in headphones, it cuts off the speakers and routes the audio to the headphones. This is great, but now my audio is coming directly from the Audiophile into my headphones.. and there is no bass adjustment in the Audiophile control panel.

Now, the headphones I have are Sony MDR-7506. pretty decent monitors. But is there a good pair of headphones that has some sort of bass adjustment built into it? I like bass. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It\'s nice to hear the big \"PLUNK\" of the contrabass pizz.

Thanks!

Re: Good headphones that have bass boost built in?

What about a headphone amplifier? some are very cheap, and provide bass,mid, treble adjustement, plus give you a nice comfortable level.

Cool. Can you recommend one? i have a fairly tight budget, just warning you

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=HA4600&lang=eng

Sells for about 79£, if you want to pay even less, try to find the previous model : HA4400

Thanks! I was actually looking for something a bit more compact (I don\'t have a lot of room here). I think I might just try to find some Koss headphones or something w/ some oomph in them.

MDesigner: BTW I am sure you already know this, but mixing your stuff with \'non-reference\' headphones is prolly not a very good idea

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    MDesigner: BTW I am sure you already know this, but mixing your stuff with \'non-reference\' headphones is prolly not a very good idea
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually, Simon, I\'m not much of an audio tech guy.. I just throw music together [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So I don\'t know why this would be a bad thing. You\'re saying it\'s good to plug my Sony headphone monitors directly into the Audiophile?

If you do your mixing with a setup where you are altering the audio signal dramatically, you will not hear your audio the way the majority of other people will. If you have, say, a 10db bass boost from 120hz and down, your bass might end up being underplayed on most other systems. So your bassdrum will be too low and wimpy, for example.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    Here\'s my situation: I have an Audiophile 2496 card.. great stuff. My speakers are your basic 2 + subwoofer set.. really nice bass sound to it, but no headphone jack. So I bought this little device that I plug the sound card and speakers into, and when I plug in headphones, it cuts off the speakers and routes the audio to the headphones. This is great, but now my audio is coming directly from the Audiophile into my headphones.. and there is no bass adjustment in the Audiophile control panel.

Now, the headphones I have are Sony MDR-7506. pretty decent monitors. But is there a good pair of headphones that has some sort of bass adjustment built into it? I like bass. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It\'s nice to hear the big \"PLUNK\" of the contrabass pizz.

Thanks!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Sam,

Simon touched on this, but you DON\'T want to listen to a bass-boosted signal while mixing. The lack of bass you\'re noticing in the headphones probably means your subwoofer is cranked too loud in your speaker rig.

I went to your website to listen to some of your mixes, and I think you might actually want to try mixing on those 7506s flat!! I\'m hearing a lack of deep bass in your mixes, which probably means you\'ve got an exaggerated bass in your monitoring rig.

Tonally, the 7506s should get you close. If there\'s not enough bass in the mix with the 7506s running flat, then you need more bass! I would budget for some actual studio monitors, rather than spending any money on a headphone amp. A multimedia/subwoofer rig is going to be very difficult to balance for good bass mixes.

Bruce,

Hmm.. well, what if I\'m not hearing enough bass in my 7506s? Should I use the GigaStudio NFX4 EQ? Or should I EQ it in Sound Forge?

Go Back to forum