• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beethoven piano sonata op. 109 for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Beethoven piano sonata op. 109 for orchestra

Hi, I'd like to present here now the late piano sonata op. 109 by Beethoven set for orchestra with especially the glorious final Andante movement. This is very special to me because it was the first orchestration I have done in my life (in 2013). Now I recorded it anew with NotePerformer:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_op109_I_orch.mp3
    http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_op109_II_orch.mp3
    http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_op109_III_orch.mp3

Gerd

Re: Beethoven piano sonata op. 109 for orchestra

Hi Gerd,

You did a great job setting this to orchestra. I didn’t miss the piano as it sounded so natural with out it.

Phil

Hi Gprengel - Yes, very lovely and well done.

This is outstanding. The best parts are no 2 & 3. Look again at the first part, I think that with the pizzicati you can do better.

Go on,

Raymond
    Raymond Robijns
    Youtube channel: "Raymond Robijns"

Hi Gerd,

You can be very proud of this realization. Indeed, you've done a terrific job. It's not so easy to catch the exact feel and emotion of a piano work and to translate that into an orchestral version without losing the very essence. To me, that's precisely what you've done here. Congratulations!
    I do agree with Raymond that the first part can use some freshening up: it misses some coherence in the instrumental sections with regard to the construction. As such everything sounds nice, but it is rather loose ends tied together without some overall unity. That can't be said of the parts 2 and 3. What a difference! Especially part 3 is stunning and surprisingly well orchestrated. Every section has a well defined function in the thematic development. You have a good insight in Beethoven's music and his way of putting it down in piano and orchestral music.

A huge round of applaus for your great performance! 👏👏👏
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

To avoid repetition just saying your skill of orchestration is outstanding.
    Thanks for posting
    TED

I thank you all for your positive and encouraging remarks regarding movements 2 and 3! They were my first orchestrations I did in my life about 5 years ago :-)
    Yes, I agree there are some weaknesses in the first movement because the original Beethoven movement is very pianistic and it is therefore difficult to give it a symphonic orchestral character. Raymond, I didn't use pizzicati here but a harp.
    Right now I don't really know what to do ... maybe a find a solution later on... First I want to do the orchestrations of the following great sonatats op. 110 and op. 111

Gerd

Quote Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
    Raymond, I didn't use pizzicati here but a harp.Gerd
    I apologize, but I didn't recognize the harp and thought it were pizzicati. Nevertheless a wonderful good job.

Raymond
    Raymond Robijns
    Youtube channel: "Raymond Robijns"

Go Back to forum