• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fisherman's Suite

Share/Bookmark

Fisherman's Suite

Dear friends,

Here's an older work (1995) in a fresh arrangement for chamber orchestra and two solo instruments (accordion, Ulean pipes).
    As the title says, it's a suite with different character pieces. The last one is a contradance (Matelotte).
    The orchestra however is not complete: no violas! That's what Mozart used to do with his dances. He thought too much harmony would distract from the dancing.

The orchestra: 8 violins (4 - 4), cello, double bass, 3 flutes, clarinet, accordion, Ulean pipes, tambourine

All the violins were treated as separate instruments (not in a group) with their own humanizing and tuning.

Enjoy the listen!

audio file: FISHERMEN'S SUITE

or video:

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Re: Fisherman's Suite

Very enjoyable. Quite an endeavor as piece transmutes thru the different sections.

Intriguing comment about not using violas. "too much harmony would distract from the dancing".. mmnnn. That really if food for thought. Treating violins as separate instruments with humanizing and tuning. Did you 'humanize' the individual violin tracks by hand, or use a 'humanize' feature on DAW?

Thanx for the listening pleasure and valuable insight your piece awakened in me.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the listen and your reply.

Indeed, the humanizing was mainly done by hand, but some by the functions in Studio One. Let's say that not a single violin plays exactly the same precise way. In the flutes, there are even some small inaccuracies. After all, it's more folk music than a strict classical performance.

Today, I've posted a Youtube film with paintings to the subject to create some more atmosphere while listening.

Best,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Jos,

It's refreshing to hear this sweet suite, with the period
    instruments, each piece of which unique in what it describes.

The video you added with the beautiful paintings,
    enhances the hearing experience.

Well done!

~ Yudit ~

Hello Jos,

Your fisherman’s Suite is a wonderful period piece. It was well worth updating to give it well deserved extra realism and musicality. Listening to these suites with the painting visuals, I find myself wishing I could go back to that time and place and experience what your music communicates.

I have a pretty old version of Studio One (Producer) which lacked good midi editing tools such as adding modulation curves. It sounds this has changed significantly but I haven’t been able to find any videos that demonstrate this. They all seem to focus on audio recording improvements or just basic recording in the piano roll. It’s still a brake the glass emergency option if things go bad with using macOS/Logic Pro X.

Great Post!

Phil

Dear Jos, what a beautiful suite you share here with us!! Again I adore your sense for melody and pureness and I perceive such a love for life and people here - it really moves me!!!!

Gerd

Quite a nice piece Jos. I hear sometimes a baroque influence in the short and repeated melodies. And as usual excellently produced sounding as a real orchestra, I couldn't sense the difference.
    I look forward to dance to it, if I find a partner.

Greetings,
    Kjell

Just got successful with the Forum, I had a bad time with it, as you said, maybe because the Mexicans did not pay for the wall?
    Love you Fisherman. Thanks for posting it.

Ted

Dear friends,

Thank you all for having taken the time to listen (watch).

These old shanties speak for themselves and remain beautiful in their simplicity. I replaced the recordings with some better ones today, but without any change in the arrangement.

Kindly,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Go Back to forum