• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphony No 2 - III. Scherzo

Share/Bookmark

Symphony No 2 - III. Scherzo

Here now I'd like to present to you the Scherzo in a-minor for my second symphony which I wrote about 4 years ago:

www.gerdprengel.de/symphony_C_scherzo.mp3
    www.gerdprengel.de/symphony_C_scherzo.pdf

Gerd

Re: Symphony No 2 - III. Scherzo

Bravissimo Gerd!

This is simply wonderful. Lovely themes, very good orchestration, marvellous woodwinds... Your Scherzo has all the elements to be a real hit in symphony world!

If I'm allowed, just one small remark (probably more a matter of personal taste): the timpani are rather close and violent in such a light hearted piece with these delicate woodwinds. A little cutting back and moving backwards in the room would make a world of difference! It seems to me that they are playing like in a military band now.

Many congrats with the overall result, composition and performance!

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Bravissimo Gerd!

This is simply wonderful. Lovely themes, very good orchestration, marvellous woodwinds... Your Scherzo has all the elements to be a real hit in symphony world!

If I'm allowed, just one small remark (probably more a matter of personal taste): the timpani are rather close and violent in such a light hearted piece with these delicate woodwinds. A little cutting back and moving backwards in the room would make a world of difference! It seems to me that they are playing like in a military band now.

Many congrats with the overall result, composition and performance!

Jos
    Wow, Jos, these are very strong and encouraging words! Thank you! I followed your advice and reduced the timpani
    Also I include the score: www.gerdprengel.de/symphony_C_scherzo.pdf

Gerd

That's a lot better, Gerd. In the full orchestra passages, it works wonderfully. In the lighter sections, it can still be reduced a bit more. Remember that in the 18th and 19th century the timpani used to accentuate the brass (trumpets mostly), not so much to add percussive effects in the orchestra. Only late in the 19th century they became more independent, but still functional.

But you did such a terrific job. The Scherzo has so many appealing elements!

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Hi Getd,

I was quite impressed with your Scherzo. It was a very strong effort structurally and emotively. I also enjoyed your very skillful use of the orchestral instruments.

A rousing musical experience!

Phil

Go Back to forum