• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Joyful Waltz for string orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Joyful Waltz for string orchestra

Hello everybody,
    for me the waltz is the natural dance rhythm. I have strived for a dancing tune a long time now and this is my first attempt. I used strings only, violin 1 and 2, viola, cello and pizzicato bass.
    The rhythm is not continuous, there are variations. Would that cause problems for dancers?
    Please feel free to comment, always appreciated.
    Greetings,
    Kjell
    https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/joyful-waltz

Re: Joyful Waltz for string orchestra

Hi Kjell,

It's an interesting work.

I've listened a few times and it starts to grow on one with every listen.

Good themes and interplay.

Although you named it joyful, I hear an underlined sadness...
    Nostalgia perhaps?

Thanks for posting.

~ Yudit ~

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Hi Kjell,

It's an interesting work.

I've listened a few times and it starts to grow on one with every listen.

Good themes and interplay.

Although you named it joyful, I hear an underlined sadness...
    Nostalgia perhaps?

Thanks for posting.

~ Yudit ~
    Thanks for your comment, Yudit. Yes, emotional impressions of music are individual. I tend to find minor keys joyful now and then, I don't know why, maybe contrasts appeal to me.
    Kjell

Hi Kjell,

Nice to hear some more work from you. Your Waltz seems more like a ballet wals to me, but it is a good one, nicely built up. The rendition is also of good quality. That makes the entire piece very 'listenable' and enjoyable. To make the dancing character more obvious, I would make the basses more prominent (not so much pizz., but rather a short distinct detache).

As a whole, you gave us a wonderful composition.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing it!!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Kjell,

Nice to hear some more work from you. Your Waltz seems more like a ballet wals to me, but it is a good one, nicely built up. The rendition is also of good quality. That makes the entire piece very 'listenable' and enjoyable. To make the dancing character more obvious, I would make the basses more prominent (not so much pizz., but rather a short distinct detache).

As a whole, you gave us a wonderful composition.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing it!!
    Jos
    Hi Jos and thank you so much for your valuable comment. You are most likely quite right about your suggestion. I will try it right away. I truly appreciate your effort and your generosity sharing your knowledge. I had a feeling something were missing in my waltz and it must be that.

Kjell

Hello Kjell,

I enjoyed your Waltz. I wouldn’t say it’s a happy, no cares in the world waltz but it could be interpreted as joyful in an emotionally more complex sense. Romeo and Juliet?

I think the dancers might need to be some what familiar with this music so they are prepared for the changes and it’s tone.

I agree with Jos about the basses to give it more bottom end.

Good work!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Hello Kjell,

I enjoyed your Waltz. I wouldn’t say it’s a happy, no cares in the world waltz but it could be interpreted as joyful in an emotionally more complex sense. Romeo and Juliet?

I think the dancers might need to be some what familiar with this music so they are prepared for the changes and it’s tone.

I agree with Jos about the basses to give it more bottom end.

Good work!

Phil
    Thank you Phil, spot on! Actually, I have had since childhood a personal way of feeling joy, I remember my parents word.
    Also the tempo/pace changes indeed, I couldn't avoid that. Nice you noted that.
    And after Jos' comment I directly made a change in the bass, from pizz to staccato in one theme, while keeping pizz in the second theme. If you and Jos have time it would be interesting to hear if you share my impression of an improvement. Anyway, I am very grateful for the valuable remarks.
    Greetings,
    Kjell

Hi Kjell,

I think I'll have to explain my suggestion. I didn't speak so much about 'staccato', which is valuable in certain attack-contexts, but rather about a short detache. That is a short bow movement in both directions (up or down) with a short duration (can vary, but is never longer that one or a couple of seconds). The onset (attack) can vary as well. When played with the frog (hand side of the bow), it will sound pretty harsh and distinct. To make my point clear, here is an example taken from one of my works:

http://www.joswyl.be/bude-vecer.html (listen from 2:15 on to the waltz and it will be clear what I mean)

A staccato has little to no musicality and doesn't add much to the base the orchestra. It's more or less like a pizzicato, but more accented, whereas a detached has a full vibration with attack and release (when the bow goes up). If you listen carefully, you can hear it.(B.T.W a short sustain is not a detache.)

Kindly,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Smile Re: Joyful Waltz for string orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Kjell,

I think I'll have to explain my suggestion. I didn't speak so much about 'staccato', which is valuable in certain attack-contexts, but rather about a short detache. That is a short bow movement in both directions (up or down) with a short duration (can vary, but is never longer that one or a couple of seconds). The onset (attack) can vary as well. When played with the frog (hand side of the bow), it will sound pretty harsh and distinct. To make my point clear, here is an example taken from one of my works:

http://www.joswyl.be/bude-vecer.html (listen from 2:15 on to the waltz and it will be clear what I mean)

A staccato has little to no musicality and doesn't add much to the base the orchestra. It's more or less like a pizzicato, but more accented, whereas a detached has a full vibration with attack and release (when the bow goes up). If you listen carefully, you can hear it.(B.T.W a short sustain is not a detache.)

Kindly,
    Jos
    Hi Jos,
    I gratefully appreciate your advice, very kind of you to spend time.
    I have listened to your beautiful piece and indeed that lovely detached bass is what I tried to achieve.
    There are two themes in my piece. I modified only the first one, starting at 23 sec. For the second theme, starting at 46 sec I kept the pizzicato (kind of swedish tradition).
    When I wrote staccato I meant that I used the staccato notation. I do not know all notation symbols by heart so I usually consult the VSL page: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Double_bass/Notation (what an excellent and generous website btw). Now, there I read that detached notation is the staccato sign so I let Finale interpret that. I have tried other notations, such as bowing signs, but staccato sign is closet to my wish.
    There is a Finale update available, Finale 26, which promises developed articulations. I plan to download that as soon as I get my next salary
    Thanks again Jos,

Kjell

Hello Kjell,

The bass has much more presence now.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast