• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Joyful Waltz for string orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Re: Joyful Waltz for string orchestra

Hi Kjell,

I'm a little surprised with the information on the VSL Bass page. A staccato patch has actually nothing to do with a detache, apart from being very short. The playing technique is totally different and so is the sound. If you would only use staccato in the bass, it would sound dull and a bit aggressive with very little musicality. VSL offers different patchers for a reason. I guess you're speaking about Finale's interpretation of the score notation, which is by its nature very limited in the use of patches. I was a longtime Finale user, but now I prefer Notion. However the principle is the same. Some small scripts provoke playing techniques attached to some symbols. Short equals staccato and voce versa. But where is then the difference between bowed short and accented short, between resonating short (spiccato) and muted* short (staccato)? The beautiful bass sound consists like all string sound go an attack (bow onset), a body (bow movement in a certain direction) and a release (bow away from the string).

* When playing staccato, the bow stays on the string and thus prevents it from resonating as usual. It is common for short accents.

Of course everything depends on the number of patches at your disposal. If you only have sustains and staccati, there is little possibility to create realistic string play. A detache is not an interrupted sustain either. (Interrupted would mean without release tail, whereas every detache, no matter how short, has a tail). Every string player would immediately hear the difference.

Indeed the VSL company provides interesting information in the instruments and their replaying techniques, but they all have a context (musical genre, software you're working with). A notation program is mostly not the best option for realistic audio performance (because of its tweaking limits). For that purpose a DAW is the best choice, but again, that means an awful lot of extra work!

I just wanted to clear out a bit my point of view. It doesn't in any way diminish your magnificent piece.

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Hello Kjell, and congratulation for your dance.
    I am answering late because I had problems logging in to the Forum. Today, all is working fine.
    Again, great!

Ted

Jos, my favored of your work started my day with your Bode Vecer. Thanks again, it is fresh and masterful every time I listen.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Hello Kjell, and congratulation for your dance.
    I am answering late because I had problems logging in to the Forum. Today, all is working fine.
    Again, great!

Ted
    Thank you so much, Ted. Glad to hear that and also that your account now is working so you may continue post your lovely music.
    Cheers,
    Kjell

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12