• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Any other cards with hardware latency support other than creamware?

Share/Bookmark

Any other cards with hardware latency support other than creamware?

Hi,

I`m still trying to figure out which card..

Currently I`m greatly aimed to Luna II from creamware. I like it`s hardware support for latency (ULLI I think).

I just wondered are there any other cards which offer same kind of hw support to latency?

Thanks in advance..

Arty

Re: Any other cards with hardware latency support other than creamware?

I don\'t know what you mean. Plenty of other cards have the same low latency as Creamwares.

Thanks for the reply..

Yes there are many cards which has low altency out there..

But creamware cards has `hardware` support for latency which works in combination with drivers..

Check Steinberg.net supported cards:
    \"On-board Ultra-Low-Latency Interface ULLI featuring hardware-based ASIO support.\"

Also info at creamware luna II page

Arty

RME cards also have Asio poured into hardware.

They also have very low latencies drivers. They are very good at IOs. They also use DSP to do mixing in realtime.

RME PCI cards sell for around 300$ (PCI alone) and to add some IO, you can buy from their AD/DA box which are pretty pretty good, but a bit expensive, or use any other AD/DA box with ADAT ios.

So you see Simon, i\'m not \'all creamware all the times\' [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I\'m really trying to help people with real answers! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yes, I agree! Creamware and RME are the best with the best drivers. I have an RME PAD and the Creamware Pulsar II, Both are incredible. It\'s my opinion that someone looking for reliability, compatibility, and great sound should take a look at them.

Thanks for the info..

I have two more questions..

How much dsp`s do I need to just run mixer, reverb and sampler? Will luna`s 3 dsp`s be enough?

Next, which one of the RME cards is the most basic one with just low latency and analog input/output?

Also what about RME`s Windows XP support for Gigastudio? I heard RME`s are better when using win9x environment..

Thanks

Arty

With only Luna, you can use:

STM1632 mixer
    Giga with 32 independants channels output
    Asio2 with 32 independant channels input (for routing to seq)
    And still have half of your dsp free for effects and AUX like:
    1 Masterverb (i personnaly recommend Paul Tanti\'s free PT96K verbs) in AUX4
    1 delay in Aux1
    1 chorus in Aux2
    1 flanger in aux3

And a couple of parametricEQ as inserts in some channels (3-4)
    And a couple compressor also in inserts. (3-4)

Now, it\'s fully loaded....And that\'s a pretty cool setup for a home studio!

If using a Pulsar (6dsps) you can trow in a couple of synth as extra....

For RME, well, i don\'t know enough of them........
    I just know they\'re supposed to be very good at IOs...

Thanks for the input marcuspocus [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I`m reading every article & review that I can find in last few weeks [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    And looks like my journey is leading me to luna II or Power Sampler..

RME hammerfall look also good but too pricey..And there is too much problem posts on their newsgroup..

Can you coment on it`s STS 5000 sampler? Quality or dsp usage?

And I would be happy if you can give me the link for Paul Tanti\'s free PT96K verbs.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks..
    Arty

Seriously, before buying anything, go check

www.planetz.com/forums

Ask some questions, like this one about STS5000 :

Don\'t you have giga? Stay with Giga, it is far more powerfull. I think that for efficiently using a sampler on a DSP card you really need more than a Luna...

It\'s true that all of this depends alot on what you want to do. For example, if you\'re doing techno and the sampler is for playing drumkit and sampled synth, you obviously don\'t need 160 voices [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The 2 thing that eat DSP like candy are Sampler + Synth. The STS3000 can barely reach 32voices on a Luna(it can, but you won\'t have enough DSP for a good reverb for example).

The advantage of a DSP sampler is 0 latency, 0 means 0, never forget this, anything that run on the luna is hardware, like any hardware synth or sampler or mixer, you get realtime, all the times. So for a realy fast snare drum in some DnB tunes, STS is fantastic, but for orchestration, forget it, you\'ll need 15dsp to have 128 notes (loading 2 STS4000 or STS5000 for example)! That\'s getting a bit expensive to say the least, you\'re better off with Giga.

STS5000 is nice though, with realtime pitchshifting + timestreching + formant correction is VERY cool! I think than only Unity DS1 and Kontakt can do this, and surely not as good.

I think you can expect something like 20-24 voices on a Luna with STS3000 or 4000 or 5000 with mixer + reverbs + 1 or 2 other effects in AUXs.

Anyway, again, go check www.planetz.com/forums, you\'ll meet a bunch of guy willing to help at all times, and we\'re having alot of fun there! C ya on the Z! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hey Marcus - I hear www.creamware.com/jobs is looking for you!

Go Back to forum