• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vom Wind Verwehy

Share/Bookmark

Vom Wind Verweht

Well, Golden Caprice is gone. It was envisaged as a caprice of 3 movents, but has evolved into this one movement caprice, of which Golden Caprices is a key component. After a bit of fussing with phrasing etc, the score will also be available.

About 7 1/2 minutes of GPO Steinway.

edit: Stupid typos annoy me, but I still make them. The subject on the Listening Room header has an unexplained y instead of a t for the last letter. Such things always embarrass me!

Richard

Toccata Caprice.mp3

Re: Vom Wind Verwehy

Hello Richard,

Tocatta Caprice is a good name for this piano piece. It’s difficult enough for me just to follow. It sounds like it would be a challenge to perform. The over mood seems to lean towards maybe frantic but also energetic. There was one spot where I think I heard some jazz rhythm.

Phil

Yep, a bit short of frantic. A bit of jazz feel sneaks in. Very difficult to perform. Not so difficult to write, other than attempting to keep it from being impossibly difficult.

Richard

An almost overpowering piece. It intrigues me how you come up with such complex pieces, your mastery over modes, scales is impressive. I notice you like things to ride the borderline of chaos, yet it is controlled..

Impressive and excellently executed.

Thank you. Yes, I do like to ride the border line of chaos, and mostly disregard the usual harmonies and structure. Counterpoint is obviously important to me. Also important:

Hindemith: the ear is the final arbiter.
    Ellington: if it sounds right, it is right.
    Piston: the rules follow practice.

This frequently leads to music that is quite difficult, but playable after much effort.

Richard

From my old-fashioned perspective this sounds rather innovative with an appealing beauty. Jazzy sometimes indeed which I find certainly appropriate to ensure its modern feel. I get the impression that it would be fun and stimulating to play a piece like this.
    Well done, Richard.

Kjell

Go Back to forum