• Register
  • Help

Topic: Golden Caprice

Share/Bookmark

Golden Caprice

This 3 minute piano piece contains references to Solesmes, a turkey, a piano tuner, the color purple, and a old man's imagination and bias It is intended to be part of a larger 3 part work, currently in formative stage.

Richard

Golden Caprice I

Re: Golden Caprice

Hello Richard,

A quite interesting piece so far. I particularly liked those lickety split runs down the keyboard.

I’m wondering by your references if this is, by chance, dream imagery, biographical or a combination.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Hello Richard,

I’m wondering by yy your references if this is, by chance, dream imagery, biographical or a combination.
    Phil
    tw
    The Solesmes refers to the monks of a Dominican Monastery who wrote out most of the Gregorian melodies, including Dies Irae, freely and loosely used in this work. The color purple refers to 2 chords that I first discovered in "Deep Purple"
    by Peter De Rose. The turkey refers to some not so sneaky bits of Turkey in the Straw burried in a couple of phrases. The Gold and imagination refer to the way I put it all together in a way that I thought might make it interesting to some lyouthful blond pianists that currently have my interest.The old man obviously refers to my age, 87. I think that covers all your questions.

Richard

There is an 'intenseness' about this piece (and much of your work).... For me 'intenseness' sometimes implies anger.. This piece has nothing to do with anger. Yet it does give me a bit of anxiety or frustration.. It takes me one or two listens to adapt to your style, then I am completely captivated by what and where you go, and the accuracy of it.

The speed and accuracy of the runs are very impressive.

AND oh YES, the ending. I can just see the smile on your face.. It's very impressive work..

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    T
    AND oh YES, the ending. I can just see the smile on your face.. It's very impressive work..
    Well, thank you. I am pleased with the work, and have hopes of adding two more movements soon, but it will be a challenge to maintain the standard.

I think smirk would be more descriptive. I have been pleased with other works, but this one pleases me the most. I have experienced some sort of awakening, and hope that I live long enough to make good use of it.

Richard

The score is now available for viewing at Box.

Golden Caprice I.pdf

https://app.box.com/s/4d0o80503jsrdwjz6jk4hfeqrszqbexr

Hi Richard,

This piece shows a different Richard, entering metaphysical meaning in a brilliant piano work. Especially the Dies Ira-motif strikes me. The way you handle it is so surprising and yet fresh. Just a pity that the piano sounds too mechanical there (all staccato notes are identically the same in attack, duration, volume...) That could sound so different with some more human touch and feel, with different accents, varying attacks and irregular note lengths. That would bring in a lot more character. But I guess the piano library you've used doesn't provide the possibilities to do so.
    But apart from that, I quite like the piece, and it made me smile with the very 'unusual' consonant ending.

Thanks,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Well, now, that was a surprise. I have just replaced the mp3. It appears that a troupe of intoxicated gremlins sneaked into my computer and and made some mischievous changes to my work. I had to restore the Sonar file and make a new audio. It is not quite what I would like, but it is much improved. Reading those comments knocked the wind out of my sails, and checking the files zapped me again. I have no idea how that happened, except that it originated in my Sonar file. I restored the Sonar file from Sibelius.

At first I considered retiring from composing as I earlier did from performing. But a bit of logic led me to the solution, my damaged pride has been restored and I will continue on with the remaining two movements.

Thanks for your comments, Jos.

Go Back to forum