• Register
  • Help

Topic: Requiem-Parts 1 and 2

Share/Bookmark

Requiem-Parts 1 and 2

Here's a redo of the first two parts of a short requiem I wrote some time ago.

Part One: Going Home

Part Two:The Darkness

Re: Requiem-Parts 1 and 2

Hi Phil,

Best and especially musical wishes for 2019!

Where your first piece comforts in a rather morbid situation, the second one knocks desperately at heaven's door in a dark and frightening universe. Luckily it ends in bright light.
    It is a more than surprising approach of a requiem, but that of course depends only on your view. The least one can say is that it is impressive and monumental (to mask the fear of death?).

Thanks for sharing,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Hello Phil,
    beautiful music which I enjoyed listen to. Drama and beauty combined.
    The first one I think starts a bit unnecessarily with a what I think could be the resolution. Since it is rather short I would try an introduction which blossoms up in that marvelous theme which is really grand.
    The second one demonstrates this building up towards a resolution, contrasting fear/despair with happiness/brightness. These contrasts is really what I appreciate most in music and it is brilliantly performed here.
    I look forward to the other parts.
    Greetings,
    Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

Best and especially musical wishes for 2019!

Where your first piece comforts in a rather morbid situation, the second one knocks desperately at heaven's door in a dark and frightening universe. Luckily it ends in bright light.
    It is a more than surprising approach of a requiem, but that of course depends only on your view. The least one can say is that it is impressive and monumental (to mask the fear of death?).

Thanks for sharing,t
    Jos
    Hi Jos,

Well, the first piece is based on the traditional American spiritual/hymn. At least the first and last sections. The title even borrows from the black spiritual -Swing Low Sweet Chariot-lyrics, “coming for to carry me home”. It’s a romanticism of one’s passing from this life.

The second piece definitely expresses one’s fear of death with it’s journey to that place of damnation. The choral ending seems to be an emotional expression of this fear much like the funeral of a close one or the more traditional requiem. I didn’t intend for any bright light(just yet) but it is less dark.

I hope you also have a musical 2019. Thanks for commenting!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    Hello Phil,
    beautiful music which I enjoyed listen to. Drama and beauty combined.
    The first one I think starts a bit unnecessarily with a what I think could be the resolution. Since it is rather short I would try an introduction which blossoms up in that marvelous theme which is really grand.
    The second one demonstrates this building up towards a resolution, contrasting fear/despair with happiness/brightness. These contrasts is really what I appreciate most in music and it is brilliantly performed here.
    I look forward to the other parts.
    Greetings,
    Kjell
    Thanks for the kind words Kjell!

I intended the first piece to basically be an introduction. I kind of explained this in my previous responce to Jos. Maybe it was intended to sort of catch the listener off guard with such a contrast to the second piece. At least those familiar with that genre.

Phil

I TOTALLY LOVE 'The Darkness'.. Really evokes the dark side.. What sounds like vocal choral, bending up and down in pitch. is that a particular patch, you using pitchblend?. Doesn't have the artifacts that a pitchwheel would normally inject.

Yes, the first piece, kind of comes at you at full tilt.. kjelleman makes a point.

Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    I TOTALLY LOVE 'The Darkness'.. Really evokes the dark side.. What sounds like vocal choral, bending up and down in pitch. is that a particular patch, you using pitchblend?. Doesn't have the artifacts that a pitchwheel would normally inject.

Yes, the first piece, kind of comes at you at full tilt.. kjelleman makes a point.

Nice work
    angelonyc,

I’m glad you enjoyed The Darkness!

That short toture like section might be slightly over the top but I think it provides some imagery. Dark humor?

Yes, I just used the pitch wheel with Soundiron’s Olympic Womens Choir. I’ll have to isolate that track and listen to it again. Maybe the other tracks helped create a pretty clean effect.

I guess I should revisit Going Home and ease into the gospel lines with something that has a more neo classical feel. Some thing like the bridge.

Thanks for your comments.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post

Nice work
    angelonyc,

I’m glad you enjoyed The Darkness!

That short toture like section might be slightly over the top but I think it provides some imagery. Dark humor?

Yes, I just used the pitch wheel with Soundiron’s Olympic Womens Choir. I’ll have to isolate that track and listen to it again. Maybe the other tracks helped create a pretty clean effect.

I guess I should revisit Going Home and ease into the gospel lines with something that has a more neo classical feel. Some thing like the bridge.

Thanks for your comments.

Phil

Go Back to forum