• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: "Mandotar"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    "Mandotar"

    All,

    I wrote this for one mandolin and one guitar...no other instruments. The piece is called "Mandotar"
    .

    Best regards to everyone.

    Larry G. Alexander



  2. #2

    Re: "Mandotar"

    Hi Larry,

    Best wishes to you too!

    What a lovely idea to write for these two instruments and the title is so funny and to the point!

    It is again a very uplifting and joyful piece of light-hearted music which brings some sunshine in these dark days. The mandolin sounds very nice (although sometimes it has a slight touch of banjo). I used to play in a large banjo orchestra and your piece brought me back to these wonderful days. It is a well written composition that would require some extra training and effort to perform on banjo or mandolin! But it's certainly worth the try!

    Thanks for sharing it,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

    http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

  3. #3

    Re: "Mandotar"

    A bit Spanish Flavor. Lovely and well performed.

    A very good 2019, Larry and may we continue enjoying your music.

    Raymond
    Raymond Robijns
    Youtube channel: "Raymond Robijns"

  4. #4
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,227

    Re: "njMandotar"

    Hello Larry,

    Another enjoyable listen with your Mandotar. The minor to major changes made it like seem almost like two pieces in one with a flavor from two diffent cultures.

    Thanks for posting your wonderful music and have a great year.





    Phil

  5. #5

    Re: "Mandotar"

    Nice.. The mandolin is a great unique instrument. I could hear the guitar part as a harpsichord, although the tonality of the guitar is probably better. I like the distinctive ending.

    I just watched the movie 'The Green Book'. I was never aware of Dr. Don Shirley and his music. He used the combination of grand piano, cello, bass. which at first seemed odd. He seemed to favor playing at the bottom of the musical range. of the piano, and cello..

    But he most noticably used a similar technique to end his compositions, like the one you use to end the piece. a flurry of notes, then an strong staccato final statement chord.. very effective.

  6. #6

    Re: "Mandotar"

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Larry,

    Best wishes to you too!

    What a lovely idea to write for these two instruments and the title is so funny and to the point!

    It is again a very uplifting and joyful piece of light-hearted music which brings some sunshine in these dark days. The mandolin sounds very nice (although sometimes it has a slight touch of banjo). I used to play in a large banjo orchestra and your piece brought me back to these wonderful days. It is a well written composition that would require some extra training and effort to perform on banjo or mandolin! But it's certainly worth the try!

    Thanks for sharing it,
    Jos
    I am pleased that you like it, Jos.

    Mandolin was my first instrument. I started playing it at an early age. My Dad taught me the essentials.

    Best,

    Larry G. Alexander

  7. #7

    Re: "Mandotar"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    A bit Spanish Flavor. Lovely and well performed.

    A very good 2019, Larry and may we continue enjoying your music.

    Raymond
    Thanks, Mister Raymond, and a wonderful 2019 to you also.

    Best,

    Larry G. Alexander

  8. #8

    Re: "Mandotar"

    Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    Nice.. The mandolin is a great unique instrument. I could hear the guitar part as a harpsichord, although the tonality of the guitar is probably better. I like the distinctive ending.

    I just watched the movie 'The Green Book'. I was never aware of Dr. Don Shirley and his music. He used the combination of grand piano, cello, bass. which at first seemed odd. He seemed to favor playing at the bottom of the musical range. of the piano, and cello..

    But he most noticably used a similar technique to end his compositions, like the one you use to end the piece. a flurry of notes, then an strong staccato final statement chord.. very effective.
    Thanks for listening and responding, New York Dude. I appreciate it.

    Best Regards,

    Larry G. Alexander

  9. #9

    Re: "Mandotar"

    Hi Larry,
    I think this a wonderful duet with high intensity and melodious themes. In the middle, the guitar takes over the lead voice which I think enriches the piece. However, also in this part I feel the mandolin dominates. I would try to reduce the mandolin voice here, just a little. But the effect is so small and it depends on equipment used as well hearing ability of the listener.
    The choice of instruments gives the piece a unique character, very innovative.
    Greetings,
    Kjell

  10. #10

    Re: "Mandotar"

    I wrote this piece principally as a showcase for the mandolin with guitar accompaniment.

    Thanks for your message and suggestion.

    Best Regards,

    Larry G. Alexander

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •