• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Concerto

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto

Here's another older piece I've reworked in Logic Pro X.

I used LA Scoring Strings, CFX Concert Grand and CineWinds.

Att: An updated "lighter" arrangement which includes LASS Sordino Strings, Cinematic Strings for Cellos and Basses and GPO 5 Handbells. 12/19/18

Piano Concertant

Re: Piano Concerto

Hi Phil,

Such a soothing and relaxed piece of nice piano work. I like the middle part a lot. Very well done.

I wouldn't call it a concerto, but a concertant piano piece, but of course the author chooses the title.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

Such a soothing and relaxed piece of nice piano work. I like the middle part a lot. Very well done.

I wouldn't call it a concerto, but a concertant piano piece, but of course the author chooses the title.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jos
    Thanks Jos!

Yes, I see it is concertant. I named it a concerto but knew that might not be exactly accurate. I seem to usually keep things somewhat condensed like a song. That was originally the idea years ago, as I thought many listeners (myself included?) now lack the attention span required to appreciate the longer classic works of yesterday.

I appreciate your comments.

Phil

Yes, a full majestic piece. I loved the 2nd section, The piano part is brilliant, delicate, arpeggiated very well. It is masterful, with powerful chord changes.

IMHU - I would consider starting with piano, then bringing the strings in. Possibly a lighter more delicate string library and not so 'massive sounding. The piano has tremendous expressive range; not only volume, but complexity of amount of notes that are played. It grabs and holds onto the audience, because of its, constant changing in number of notes, and volume, while the musical motif, keeps it grounded. So the number of notes/volume changes complement the part incredibly well.

It would be nice if the strings could do the same. Have them use a similar technique starting simple, becoming more complex, and dynamic. When the Strings come in the second time, than you could possibly hit them with the full impact, you started with.

I've been toying with introducing, and exiting of instruments playing chords. Often instead of starting with the full chord, I will start with one voice, go 2 - 4 bars, bring in the 2nd voice, sometimes - not using the full amount of instruments (I suppose the orchestra plays would feel left out, not all playing together) - but it does make a seamless transition from little to big. Of course sometimes you want to hit the audience with the full power of a section. That is always an effective tool.

AND the piece also stands as is -

Yes, I think a lot of people under 40 now, have acquired Attention Deficit Dis-order. That is anything too long or complicated, they lose interest. Many years ago, Keyboard Magazine, changed editors, and stated that there would no longer be several page articles. Cause most readers would give up after 2 pages. I believe we are doing the same with music. If it has a driving primal beat, that affects a different part of the brain, making us more addicted to listening.

It's very noticeable in music for the 20 year olds. we started with combo, bands, (in popular music).. By the 70's prog rock music came, with it's classical riffs, and increasingly difficult complex parts played by the different instruments. It seemed to require more brain attention and work to give it a proper listen to.

Ethereal, or 'intellectual music' (music that doesn't make the body want to jump and dance) I believe affects a different part of the brain. And one must be more 'attuned to it'.

I feel with instant media, tweeting, instagrams, texting. We are being reduced to sentenced not much longer than 6 words.. What can you express in that. Music seems to have 'dumbed down' at least by some popular musical acts. There are of course, people creating fine sophisticated, music. but in general, one needs less intellect to enjoy the crap that get the most downloads.

Great work, I apogize for getting too 'verbose'. - Mark Styles

Hi Mark!

I think your probably right about the strings. Actually, this was an experiment of sorts using only LASS for the strings. I purchased the whole library a few years back for a pound of flesh but have only used the solo strings as I found Cinematic Strings much easier to learn and to use. I arranged the cellos and basses using the three divisions, slightly speading each division. Hey, I was trying to get my money’s worth! Lol. But maybe there needs to be less sound so it dosen’t just hit you over the head and sound too cluttered. I’ll probably do some more experimenting with arranging, trying out your suggestions and what ever else I can think of on this one.

Thanks for your helpful ideas and thoughts on music.

Phil

Go Back to forum