• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Quartett in C Major I. Andante Maestoso / Allegro

Share/Bookmark

String Quartett in C Major I. Andante Maestoso / Allegro

Hi, I'd like to present to you this string quartett in C Major, which I wrote many years ago on the base of Beethoven's very last sketches for a planned string quintett. The Introduction by 95% is Beethoven, also the main theme and the theme at 2:34, the rest is mine. This old GPO recording I can't bear anymore since I did the same now with NotePerformer which I think is so much better:

http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62_1.mp3

old version with GPO:

http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62-1_old.mp3

II. Second movement (Andante cantabile) with variations on the short sketch from Beethoven for this work:

http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62_2.mp3
    http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62-2.pdf

III. Scherzo Presto

And here now I finshed a fiery Scherzo (Presto) in c-minor for the string quartett, again based on an unusual motif sketch (with his "Fate-motif in the bass) by Beethoven - his last sketched Scherzo idea before he died ...

http://gerdprengel.de/WoO62_3.mp3

What do you think?

Gerd

Re: String Quartett in C Major I. Andante Maestoso / Allegro

Gerd, congratulation for this. Enjoyed very much.
    Since you asked what we think, the only suggestion I have is about your nice sounding cello. Many points of your work it is overwhelming the others. By the very nature of the cello, it has to be restrained to allow the 1st violin, or others, to come forth. Many places in this piece you have found a lovely balance, and let the cello dominate beautifully when needed.. So, my suggestion is that go over this once more, with "fresh" ears, and if you agree with me, cut back on the cello, placing it away from the front, or cutting the dynamics back a little only at a few places.
    Again, congratulation,

Ted

Hi Gerd,

You did a great job of creating this String Quartet what little Beethoven had schetched out. It sounds pretty seemless. Not an easy task I’m sure.

I listened to a little of your old version also and it gets the ideas across although your new version is definitely more musical and expressive.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    ...By the very nature of the cello, it has to be restrained to allow the 1st violin, or others, to come forth. Many places in this piece you have found a lovely balance, and let the cello dominate beautifully when needed.. So, my suggestion is that go over this once more, with "fresh" ears, and if you agree with me, cut back on the cello, placing it away from the front, or cutting the dynamics back a little only at a few places.

Ted
    Dear Tedvana and fastlane, thank you for your warm response. Tedvana, I listened again throught the piece, but right now I still don't think that the cello is too dominent (apart from the passages where it is dominating intentionally). But I will further consider it... Thank you! The other 3 movements will follow ...

Gerd

Of course, you are the composer, your idea is the best. Looking forward for your continuing of this piece.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Of course, you are the composer, your idea is the best. Looking forward for your continuing of this piece.
    Ted

Ted, by now I realised that you were right with the too dominant Cello volume. I reduced it a by now. Thank you for your insight!!

By now I added also the second movment, Andante cantabile with variations on a short Beethoven theme sketch for this work, see the link at the beginning of this thread....

Gerd

Hi gerd,

Sorry for replying so late, but I was working on sampling an older piece and while doing so, I don't like being distracted with too much other music...

But now I took the time to listen a couple of times to your version of the Beethoven quartet. You're absolutely right about the NotePerformer version being so much better. It has mainly to do with the sound of the instruments and their satisfying realism and musicality. What you did with the sketch is absolutely stunning, mainly in the first part. The second is very nice too, but less convincing to my taste.
    The cello doesn't bother me at all (but I think I've only heard the version after your correction).

Many congratulations with this daring enterprise and with the fabulous result!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Thank you Jos, for your beautiful encouragement, this means much to me!

By now I also finished the fiery Scherzo, see the top of the Thread ...

Gerd

Go Back to forum