• Register
  • Help

Topic: Freudentanz

Share/Bookmark

Freudentanz

6 minutes and 20 seconds of lively piano music. outside my usual style. Don't know why, just felt like doing it.

Freudentanz

I like it a lot -- can't quit listening to it!
    Richard

Re: Freudentanz

Hello Richard,

I hear a lot of joy and happiness in your Freudenstanz. You must be feeling better now.

There are interesting and fun surprises throughout. At first I thought you were going to go into a boogie woogie. Maybe you feel like dancing a little, at least in your head.

What would Freud have thought.

Phil

Well, you caught my hint of boogie woogie. But I don't feel like dancing. I just like happy music. Freudentanz translates as dance of joy. Don't have a clue about Freud's thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Richard

I like the energy of it, also the note 'clashes' scattered thru it. Give it a carefree quality. In my mind I see this woman, in a 50's typed dress, kind of lilting and jumping around throwing her hands up.

At about 1:47 you go into fast scales (reminds a bit of flight of the bumble bee). Then you settle into a nice syncopation. Love the different sections.

Is this an improvisation? practiced, refined improvisation?.. or carefully constructed? Or is it you sit back, and your mind observes your hands play this magic?

I find I sometimes, just sit comfortably and let my hands do what they want (not as nimble after 2 strokes). Often I just improvise, and go back in Logic Pro and clean up the sloppiness.

Other times I really focus on parts played. take a motif/part, refine it, make it fit with other parts.

I suppose (and have read) each musician approach music, or even aspects of music with different mindsets. I feel those two approaches use a different section of the brain.

Music, listening, creating, employs more different sections of the brain, than any other activity.. In one book I read, the author (wish I could quote it). It appears as if the brain was designed to listen, process, and create music.

Thanx for variety

Actually, the title is from the tv series "Cousins", in which the old world cousin would do a folk dance. The title is not the best, but I could not think of a better one.

The idea just sort of popped into my head and I wrote it out, then edited it a bit, taking out a few bumps and kinks. I think my better works all begin this way. Sometimes it is a struggle to work out the details, or sometimes the details just seem to fall into place, as in this piece.

As you have seen, rhythm, especially syncopation, is quite important to me, as is counterpoint, and strongly contrasting passages. The big problem for me is the complexity. Most of my music is quite difficult because of the complex rhythm and haromnies. I have tried to make thing simpler, but then the main ideas get lost, so they remain. complex and virtually unplayed.

I think my music is probably difficult to listen to because it falls outside the norm, (as I seem to be), and because there is so much to pay attention to. It must be listened to quite attentively in order to follow and understand, particularly the harmonies,which , standing alone can be abrasive, but in context, quite essential.

Richard

Go Back to forum