• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Upgrade(s) I've Been Avoiding

Share/Bookmark

The Upgrade(s) I've Been Avoiding

Well, it's finally happened. The expensive custom-built DAW I bought more than a decade ago for 32-bit Windows XP Professional has finally seized up (before I was finished putting the final touches on my masterpiece) so I'm going to have to upgrade. Though I won't have the time or the funds to do so any time soon, I thought I'd at least start thinking about its replacement.

Here's the situation: All my music is in Sonar files (Producer version 6, think). I primarily work on the staff view and tweak tracks in the list view. Most of my sample libraries are in older formats: mostly Kontakt 2, GPO 2, JABB 1 or 2, and Real Guitar 2.

Here are my questions:

1.) I don't know if I can install any of my existing sample libraries on a new system, which will have a later OS, or if it is even possible to re-authorize them if I were able to install them. The actual files were installed on a separate internal hard drive (which I backed up, of course). So I could copy them to the new system. Does anyone know if they could be opened and used in the current version of Kontakt? If so, I could continue using the old GPO and JABB for a while until I can afford to upgrade them.

2.) What's the latest on the Sonar situation? Is it still available free of charge? If so, how do I get it? Is it still Windows only? Does it still work off-line?

3.) If Sonar isn't available or workable, are there alternatives that would allow me to (a) open Sonar files, and (b) work on them in score view?

This assumes I stay with the Windows platform. In which case, I will probably take the computer completely off the Internet, once I have everything installed, to sidestep the Windows security issues. Though I'd seriously consider a UNIX alternative, if there is one.

Any info on this would be a big help.

Thanks.

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: The Upgrade(s) I've Been Avoiding

For what it's worth, SONAR was re-launched earlier this year when it was purchased and taken out of the hands of "Gibson Brands" (and don't get me started on that pretty little mess!)

They still have a web presence, so it may still be viable. MOST products allow files written in legacy versions to be imported, though in some cases some fine detail may be lost.

That said, here's a link that will take you there. After that, I suggest a little research and you should be on your way!

https://www.cakewalk.com/products/SONAR/

Now the bad news- it's no longer free. No idea about any pricing structure because for the moment I am still a very confirmed Finale Phan- er, fan.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

I believe the Cakewalk by Bandlab is still free. Try this link: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

You can try to install the old Garritan libraries in the old version of Kontakt. I have not tried loading the old libraries into Kontakt as it's been years since I moved to the Aria versions.

Jim

Thanks. This is very helpful. I was able to download the free version installer without a problem. This weekend, I'll try to do a full install on my Windows 7 machine (since this version of Sonar apparently supports it).

I'm contacting Native Instruments, to ask if my old Kontakt samples (such as GPO 2 and Westgate) will be recognized by version 6 -- and whether I qualify for upgrade pricing, since I will be upgrading from Kontakt 2.

Allegro Data Solutions

Not sure where Kevin got the idea Cakewalk was no longer free. The very first popup when you go to their website is "Cakewalk is Now Free"

Your question has already been answered for you, just download Cakewalk and all should be working for you, no costs involved. All my work files were included in the download. It should detect your earlier installation and include your work files. If you can do so, I would copy all what you have in Cakewalk Project now, just to be safe
    Good luck.

Ted

It won't be able to detect my earlier installation because it resides on a defective hard drive on the defunct machine. I did find my original installation discs and authorization keys, if either is required to authorize the new version.

This is the response I got from Native Instruments regarding Kontakt:

If you authorized Kontakt 2 under your NI User Account, and you still have that logon, that prior authorization is all you need to activate an upgrade version of Kontakt 6. You don't need to reinstall Kontakt 2.

When you install and attempt to authorize Kontakt 6 Update version you will have to enter the new Serial Number through the NI "Native Access" authorization/installation tool. The NI authorization server will "see" the new Serial Number is an update, and will check to see if you have a qualifying product authorized in their records.

I see the Kontakt 6 Update version is only $99. After you sign on to your User Account via the NI Website, you can see if you qualify for the $99 Kontakt 6 update.

With older products, like Kontakt 2, you can sign on to your NI User Account and see "My Products, Serials and Downloads".
    Here is a direct link:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/e...als-downloads/

With regard to whether my old Kontakt sample libraries would work with the new version, one user posted this to their forum:

"Kontakt is supposed to be backward compatible, so you should be able to load and play the Kontakt 2 libraries you mention. "

Allegro Data Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    Not sure where Kevin got the idea Cakewalk was no longer free. The very first popup when you go to their website is "Cakewalk is Now Free"
    I was looking for Sonar, which was what I thought the OP was wanting, and as near as I can tell, the entry-level version of SONAR is still $49.... here's where I found that info...

https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Kevin,

That is a link that points to the original site. There is a link at the top of the main page 'Cakewalk by Bandlab released - Learn More' that takes you to the current download on the Bandlab.com site. There is only one version available on the Bandlab site now. It's a little confusing.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BVstudios View Post
    I was looking for Sonar, which was what I thought the OP was wanting, and as near as I can tell, the entry-level version of SONAR is still $49.... here's where I found that info...

https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions

Hi Kevin, yes, that information is defunct, much like the original company. The assets have been sold to Bandlab. They will eventually (no idea when) shut down that site, but the Platinum edition was converted to Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) and is now free. The other editions, indeed, the final platinum version are all dead.

The CbB version has been much stabilised and an emphasis on stability has been the main focus, since they are no longer dependent on licensing revenue.

In case you are wondering, the guy who bought the company has a billionaire father who made his fortune in palm oil. The son had a passion for music and he can afford to pursue it. He bought, for example, the Rolling Stone magazine.

His intent is to make money, I think, through subscriptions with the much larger bandlab user base, but I really think he doesn't care about the money. That's how it comes across anyway.

Go Back to forum