• Register
  • Help

Topic: Somewhere Far Away, Between the Shadows

Share/Bookmark

Somewhere Far Away, Between the Shadows

Hi,

this is a choral poem in Estonian language, sort of a commissioned piece, which I finished it too late :P But hopefully going to get performed soon nevertheless. Anyway, the text was written by my mom and here are the lyrics:

Kusagil kauguses, varjude vahel
    hommikuvalguses teerada virgub.
    Suvine soojus me südameis sirgub –
    nii algab teekond meil kahel.

Veel me ei tea, mida unelmais maalib
    saatus või juhus, valendav virve.
    Tasane soov minus argliku hirve
    lendleva hüppega ületab kraavi –

hüüan Sind taas kord, et võiksid Sa tulla
    selsamal rajal ja suvena kesta ning
    sügise küpsevas kullas

aimaksid aegade pidet ja rahu.
    Sina, mu koduste metsade rohetav hing –
    rohkem kui sõnusse mahub.

translation (kind of difficult to paraphrase this one in English, but I gave it a rough shot):

Somewhere far away, between the shadows
    in the morning light a trail awakens.
    The warmth of summer growing in our hearts -
    thus our journey begins.

We do not know yet, what fate or chance
    or a gleam of light holds for us.
    A quiet wish in me crosses the ditch
    like the soaring leap of a timid deer/roe -

I'm calling out to you once more, so you could come
    on the same trail and remain as summer and
    in the ripening gold of fall

you would realize the continuity and peace of our times.
    You, the green soul of the woods of my home -
    more than words could contain.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeJtpxh8FCg

This demo uses VSL strings that are slightly dialled down with EQ, along with the mellow Woodchester Piano VST from Fracture Sounds!

Happy listening!
    Brindle
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: Somewhere Far Away, Between the Shadows

Very haunting atmosphere, Brindle, it matches the lyrics very well (and congratulations to mum, too!).
    I'd really like to listen to the performed version. The way it is right now demands a leap of imagination to perceive the overall effect of the piece, but the listening experience is already very very positive.

If I would be you I'd go for a fuller harmony on the strings. I like their "subdued" character but I'd like to try to thicken them. There is a chance that that accompaniment is too dense and might benefit by a wider range and extension.
    You know, all the way from grumbling basses to whispering violins, played ppp, with all the bow rubbing noises and "rosin" flavour. Try it.

Very good anyway.

Fabrizio

Hi Brindle,

Indeed a very special piece. I especially like the harmony that is sometimes rather unexpected and bewildering. The real choir version must be very interesting. The way it is presented here gives us a good image of the real thing, but the live performance will bring so much more. If there would be any accompaniment, please make it a bit richer and add more dynamic contrast, to follow the textual content.

Choir-wise, a very interesting composition! Congrats to your mum as well!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Nice to see you again here.

Very interesting and as Max said, sometime unexpected parts, some very traditional in the harmonies you use, sometimes quite shockingly new.
    Because, my Estonian Brother, after I finished listening, I listened farther and there was a piece where I saw a sign: "Red army, go home!". How deeply this is touching me, yes! finally they gone home, from your country and from my country too. I know, I should concentrate my comment on your piece, but as a Hungarian, I feel ashamed that we are not keeping closer touch our two countries, we had so much common suffering, fighting and, finally, victories.
    I was looking desperately to find some similarity in you Mother's beautiful thoughts in Estonian to see proof of our relation, but could not find it. Only among the first words I see "kauguses" which brings back a Finnish song I know as 'Kultani kukku, kaukani kukku" which has some meaning of far away I think.
    Please forgive this old man, and his wondering thoughts, and please let us hear this piece when it will be performed.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Very haunting atmosphere, Brindle, it matches the lyrics very well (and congratulations to mum, too!). I'd really like to listen to the performed version. The way it is right now demands a leap of imagination to perceive the overall effect of the piece, but the listening experience is already very very positive.
    If I would be you I'd go for a fuller harmony on the strings. I like their "subdued" character but I'd like to try to thicken them. Very good anyway.
    Thank you! Yeah, using strings and piano (to maintain rhythmic precision) is as far as it can go during the initial composing process I do have plans to record this (and perhaps my other choral settings) with a small group of singers, it's in very early stages still, but I'm thinking of putting together an ensemble and recording it, one of my friends is an engineer as well, so that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg
    Indeed a very special piece. I especially like the harmony that is sometimes rather unexpected and bewildering. The real choir version must be very interesting. The way it is presented here gives us a good image of the real thing, but the live performance will bring so much more. If there would be any accompaniment, please make it a bit richer and add more dynamic contrast, to follow the textual content. Choir-wise, a very interesting composition! Congrats to your mum as well!

I appreciate that! Especially what you said about harmony, because it's one of the primary ways for me to give colour and while I acknowledge that most of my music is sort of tonal, I do like to see just where it wants to go sometimes, not staying in a strict defined key signature and the end results is a beautiful blend of unexpected and traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya
    Very interesting and as Max said, sometime unexpected parts, some very traditional in the harmonies you use, sometimes quite shockingly new. Because, my Estonian Brother, after I finished listening, I listened farther and there was a piece where I saw a sign: "Red army, go home!". How deeply this is touching me, yes! finally they gone home, from your country and from my country too. I know, I should concentrate my comment on your piece, but as a Hungarian, I feel ashamed that we are not keeping closer touch our two countries, we had so much common suffering, fighting and, finally, victories.
    I was looking desperately to find some similarity in you Mother's beautiful thoughts in Estonian to see proof of our relation, but could not find it. Only among the first words I see "kauguses" which brings back a Finnish song I know as 'Kultani kukku, kaukani kukku" which has some meaning of far away I think.
    Please forgive this old man, and his wondering thoughts, and please let us hear this piece when it will be performed.

Thanks! Interesting thoughts and I agree that we all should stick together, especially in this crazy world of ours As I said, I'd like to record this song with actual voices, but for now it's only in planning stages. Will see how it goes!

Brindle
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Brindle,

I did enjoy your mother’s poem set to your thoughtful music. Heartfelt feelings about nature and human relations.

A few days ago I went on a very difficult but rewarding hike/scramble high in the Olympic Mountains to Lake Of The Angels which is a glacial tarn. A good place to clear your mind and meet nice folks on the way.

Phil

Go Back to forum