• Register
  • Help

Topic: September

Share/Bookmark

September

This is my first (and last?) string quartet. All GPO5, I think the vibrato is way too much, but that is what I have..

https://app.box.com/s/m1kizs2qxi4h7436kms7aj99y4ji2y4d

Re: September

Please don't let this be your last quartet. It is exquisite, with a 'hopeful' melon quality to it. At 52 seconds, when the strings go up, makes my head pull back, and eyebrows arch. And the 2nd strings repeat the motif in a round - very tasteful. I've just listened to this 10 times in a row. It's very soulful (in a classical way) and intimate. I almost feel you thinking of events that have happened in your life and you are express these to me alone, without using words.

I agree about the vibrato, but we are at the mercy of our virtual instruments, or libraries.

Thanks Mark, and yes, you do understand what I was trying to say with this.
    I do not know enough about sound engineering, but maybe I am right that the artificial vibrato could be relatively easy to control. Why it was not included in GPO5 strings solos, I don't understand.
    Thank you again, hope you are fine and happy.
    Ted

Ted,

It is a pleasure to hear another of your compositions.
    And this little piece is a lovely treasure.

It states very clear what you wanted to say,
    there is a lovely repetitive motive and I can hear
    your folklore background.

I don't mind the vibrato, it fits well with the atmosphere
    you created.

How about continuing the flow and creating an October piece?

~ Yudit ~

I enjoyed your September Ted. An emotive and honest work.

I can imagine it possibly being developed into something larger but it really works fine as is.

It looks like you’d need to purchase a solo violin library to be able to control the vibrato. The GPO violin sounded quite nice to me.

Phil

In real life the vibrato doesn't start immediately. There is a split-second delay after the attack before it actually does begin. Some sample libraries are produced like this...most aren't.

Standard string quartets have three movements. When can we expect the other two?

This is a pretty "song without words", Mister Ted. You did a very good job.

Thanks for posting it.

Best,

Larry G. Alexander

Hi Ted,

Glad to hear another marvel from your heart and soul. The old Ted took the risk to go nude in music! A string quartet is sooo difficult because you can't camouflage anything. Every single note in every instrument must be in place, correct and with an own function in the harmony, in the ensemble and in the musical story. Only the greatest composers managed to become masters in that genre. And yet, a new great piece will b added to that series, signed Ted Vanya.
    Indeed, it's a condensed little jewel with such an expressivity and the usual amount of nostalgia, longing to the country of your youth (with all its misery and hardship later on). Melancholy at its best again. We all hope there will be a continuation.

Thanks for sharing,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Thanks Larry, and I am apologizing to you, this short piece was never intended to be a "string quartet" with three parts as usually done. I was simply,and the first time, just tried to use four players to express my feelings.
    Thanks again
    Ted

Dear Yudit, you are very kind to me. It is interesting that you suggest a continuation to October, thanks, I may just do it.

Ted

Max, you are just to forgiving to me,and you have a kind heart. I assure you, that I would not run around naked, my self-criticism would not allow it. But, I found it very interesting to use only four musicians and will try some more.
    Thanks again

Ted

Go Back to forum