• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Debussy: "La Mer" - 1st movement

Share/Bookmark

Debussy: "La Mer" - 1st movement

Dear friends,

here is my latest recording: from Claude Debussy's "La Mer" the first movement "From Dawn to Noon on the Sea".

https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...oon-on-the-sea

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Re: Debussy: "La Mer" - 1st movement

Very well done! I enjoyed your realization of the first movement of Debussy's La Mer.

This music takes you out there.

Phil

Lightbulb Re: Debussy: "La Mer" - 1st movement

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Very well done! I enjoyed your realization of the first movement of Debussy's La Mer.

This music takes you out there.

Phil
    thank you for listening, Phil! I am glad you enjoy it. This is of course not my merit, but the whole credit here goes to Claude Debussy who wrote that wonderful music.

cheers,
    Reinhold

I don't know any more what to say to you. I listen more than once, and every time I come up being floored by your art. You may not even know how great you are. I know that you do not wish to replace the "real" but you represent the best among us in detailed excellence of this new art.
    Thanks

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I don't know any more what to say to you. I listen more than once, and every time I come up being floored by your art. You may not even know how great you are. I know that you do not wish to replace the "real" but you represent the best among us in detailed excellence of this new art.
    Thanks

Ted

Dear Ted,

thank you very much for your kind words - I am very moved by them!

Most credit really must go to the composer, Claude Debussy. All I am doing is reading the score and putting all the things in the recording that I can find in the score print. That is, for example, making a legato when it is to be done, staccato when noted, etc. It is all in the score.
    Of course there is a bit more to it, and that is the individual touch, the "interpretation" of things that are not in the score, but that I hear in my mind and that I think should be there in the recording. That is the tempo, the degree of individual note attack, crescendi and diminuendi etc.

I only record music that I really appreciate, and I am trying to recreate what has moved me when I heard this music for the first time. It was probably around 1980 when I taped a recording from a radio broadcast onto a tape recorder. Up to then I only had heard in school in the music class Debussy's "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune". I was very impressed by "La Mer", and now I am glad that the technology allows me to play this piece myself.

I did notice something interesting when listening to this my rendition: it appears now too fast to me. When I finalized it a week ago, it was late at night, between 2-3am in the night from 22 to 23 August, and I was quite tired. But I wanted to complete it for Debussy's birthday, which at least in some parts of the world was still on at this time. And it seems that when I am tired, I set things to a faster tempo than usual. Maybe I want to be done with it, maybe I am less attentive to details.

But when I listen now to it, I feel that it needs to be slower in several places. And most conductors also take it slower, at least 8:30 or 9:00 minutes long, whereas my version is 7:30. I will revise it again and prepare a slower version - you may then let me know if that one sounds better.

What I also may do: I could show the individual stages how I recorded this. Starting from the bass, the celli, and so on. I have all the versions saved, just did not create wave files from them. This may be interesting to observe how the music slowly develops, starting from a strict metronome at extremely slow pace (otherwise I could not handle the 1/32th and 1/64th notes), then to the mix with all instruments, and then finally shaping the actual tempo.

I may make these available as bonus tracks in the complete "La Mer" recording.

But also important is to record the missing 2nd movement... I shall start this soon!

Thank you again for your positive words, Ted! I wish I could record more music... I have a whole list of wonderful music which I would like to play in the same way as this recording. But I am busy with my daytime job too... for music is only time at night.

Cheers,
    Reinhold

... and I did now revise the tempi: the overall pace is now a bit slower, and the recording is about 30 seconds longer.

The previous version is still there as a "bonus" track - you may download the whole album for 0£, and then you get access to the additional bonus tracks which I will put there eventually.

The new recording has now replaced the previous one and is still at the same URL:
    https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...oon-on-the-sea

Cheers,
    Reinhold

I hope to live long enough to see your bonus pages, and you are too modest about your contribution. We have seen in MIDI- site pages what people are creating, which are mostly useless because they sound awful, and really, anyone without too much knowledge of music can copy MIDI notes from a score. The extra which you do put in what makes this effort an art and enjoyable to listen to. This is what you are doing. To me, the process how you create this art, would be very very interesting and we would learn a lot from it. So, yesssss, and I am sure I am not alone but anyone who heard your work would love to know more about how you making such beauty. Your work also teaches us that modestly priced programs can produce excellent results, we do not have to spend thousands of dollars for them, GPO5 is a wonderful tool if you know how to be as masterful as you are.
    When I am admiring your work I also realize my own shortcomings, my laziness to use GPO5's potentials as fully as you do, I hate to use key switches messing up my score etc., so I compromise while you are going for perfection.
    So, I am waiting for your bonus, it will be a bonus to all of us.

Ted

OK, the credits go to Debussy, but when I read a poem aloud with little or no "voicing" that poem remains a bunch of letters without any meaning. It is the interpretation of the written material that makes it a wonderful experience. Here you did the same with those written notes, you made them sound wonderful.

Congratulations,
    Raymond Robijns
    Youtube channel: "Raymond Robijns"

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I hope to live long enough to see your bonus pages, and you are too modest about your contribution. We have seen in MIDI- site pages what people are creating, which are mostly useless because they sound awful, and really, anyone without too much knowledge of music can copy MIDI notes from a score. The extra which you do put in what makes this effort an art and enjoyable to listen to. This is what you are doing. To me, the process how you create this art, would be very very interesting and we would learn a lot from it. So, yesssss, and I am sure I am not alone but anyone who heard your work would love to know more about how you making such beauty. Your work also teaches us that modestly priced programs can produce excellent results, we do not have to spend thousands of dollars for them, GPO5 is a wonderful tool if you know how to be as masterful as you are.
    When I am admiring your work I also realize my own shortcomings, my laziness to use GPO5's potentials as fully as you do, I hate to use key switches messing up my score etc., so I compromise while you are going for perfection.
    So, I am waiting for your bonus, it will be a bonus to all of us.

Ted

Dear Ted,

I added the bonus tracks. These are recordings of the various stages of my "production" of this recording. I hope the names of these tracks make it clear what they are. There is a running number, which indicates the "take" of the recording; there is also the date. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to complete this recording.

All the files are here: https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp.com/album/la-mer
    The bonus files can be accessed when downloading the album - is OK for 0£.

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    OK, the credits go to Debussy, but when I read a poem aloud with little or no "voicing" that poem remains a bunch of letters without any meaning. It is the interpretation of the written material that makes it a wonderful experience. Here you did the same with those written notes, you made them sound wonderful.

Congratulations,

Thank you very much, Raymond, for your positive comments!
    Yes, of course I try to make the music sound as good as it can sound with the samples and the technology limits, and there is a bit of work necessary to do this. The music just need to be played "from the heart", in the same way as the poem needs to be spoken with passion. I am glad that the resulting recording turned out quite OK. But it always can be improved...

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast