• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Sibelius: Karelia Suite

Share/Bookmark

Re: Sibelius: Karelia Suite

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    What can I say, but totally excellent!!!
    Thank you very much for listening and commenting!

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Reinhold,

I remember you posting a portion of this work awhile back. Now we have rest to enjoy. You’re quite a master with getting the most out of GPO. It’s not only the quality of the tools but more so the craftsmanship and care of person using them that creates a enjoyable musical experience.

Phil
    Thank you very much., Phil!

I appreciate your comment and feedback!

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Hi Reinhold,

Again with this suite you did a terrific job and great honour to the Garritan Libraries. Very few can obtain such a result with GPO. The way you've handled the 'musicality' is simply outstanding. You've played around with strong dynamic variation and movement, delicately adding attacks where necessary to realise your interpretation and with the note releases wherever necessary. That requires a thorough knowledge of all the possibilities to tweak the instruments to their best. In one word, a superb performance.

The only small personal remark I have is the orchestral balance. I know that it's your vision to present the work as it please you, but some minor actions in the balance can make a huge difference in the listening experience. Some instruments don't get the attention they deserve in certain passages, maybe due to the lack of transparence. You use pretty much reverb in one single acoustic room. That may be the cause. For large orchestras, its often better to divide the reverb room into more than one space (reverb instances), to avoid muddiness. But that's merely a consideration and doesn't alter anything of your tremendous work and effort to realise such a big project with high quality!

Many congrats!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Reinhold,

Again with this suite you did a terrific job and great honour to the Garritan Libraries. Very few can obtain such a result with GPO. The way you've handled the 'musicality' is simply outstanding. You've played around with strong dynamic variation and movement, delicately adding attacks where necessary to realise your interpretation and with the note releases wherever necessary. That requires a thorough knowledge of all the possibilities to tweak the instruments to their best. In one word, a superb performance.

The only small personal remark I have is the orchestral balance. I know that it's your vision to present the work as it please you, but some minor actions in the balance can make a huge difference in the listening experience. Some instruments don't get the attention they deserve in certain passages, maybe due to the lack of transparence. You use pretty much reverb in one single acoustic room. That may be the cause. For large orchestras, its often better to divide the reverb room into more than one space (reverb instances), to avoid muddiness. But that's merely a consideration and doesn't alter anything of your tremendous work and effort to realise such a big project with high quality!

Many congrats!
    Jos

Hi Jos,

thank you very much for your feedback to this renditions!
    I am glad that you like this "performance" and the various tweaks that I have applied.

Thank you also for the feedback regarding the lack of transparency! I am aware that I often get used to how the rendition sounds, and my ears then accept the sound, even if there could be improvements be done. So I appreciate feedback from "fresh ears" who listen to my renditions for the first time and immediately can spot some weaknesses.

Which instruments would you think could use more transparency? I am actually using individual reverb settings for each of the instruments / groups, using the CC#91 controller. Instruments in the front I usually give less reverb, instruments in the back more reverb. For my recordings and mixing I am using closed headphones only, so when I listen through them without any reverb, it sounds quite "dry", which I find not very pleasant. With the reverb I add the illusion of some kind of concert hall. Reverb also smoothes out some of the shortcomings in transitions between notes. But I agree, too much reverb would make a too mushy sound. This may then become very apparent when listening through speakers and having a normal room acoustics mixed with the recorded one.

Best wishes,
    Reinhold

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12